[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Interview with Yokozuna Terunofuji from today

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 09:39:05 EST 2023

>From Moti

Gaijingai

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 6:46 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Interview with Yokozuna Terunofuji from today
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

-After entering the Meiji Shrine dohyo-iri today:

Terunofuji: "It's been a long time since I last did the dohyo-iri before
the day before yesterday at Hakuhou's danpatsushiki and I'm honored to be
able to do the dedication dohyo-iri at Meiji Jingu Shrine today."

-The condition of both knees that have  caused you to miss 3 consecutive
bashos?

Terunofuji: "Fine."

-Training?

Terunofuji: "Fine"

- You did the dohyo-iri at  Miyagino Oyakata's danpatsushiki..

Terunofuji: "He's a dai- Yokozuna who holds a lot of records. I did my best
because I thought that I had to participate as the opponent who faced him
in his last active match."

-What did  Hakuhou's presence mean to you??

Terunofuji: "Until my first match with him, for me  he was a god-like
existence.. At the age of 22, I faced him for the first time (I lost to him
by yorikiri), and I thought that I had to beat the top guy in order to
become a Yokozuna, so I worked hard in order to win. He is also a senior
who gave me the motivation to enter Sumo”

-Did you watch the January Basho on TV?

Terunofuji: "Of course. There were my juniors from our heya participating.
In order to return early to active duty, I tried not to move away from sumo
as much as possible."

-Thoughts on your return?

Terunofuji: "When I fell to the bottom (Jonidan), I was told it was
'impossible' to come back. But I'm one who challenges oneself. I think
there are many people who say that it's  'impossible' for me to return this
time as well. These words only encourage me and it's important to make an
effort, even though you may fail in the end.

-Future training sessions?

Terunofuji: "I'll start with building my body. The basho has just finished
(22nd). I can't do sumo alone. I want to do my best from tomorrow.. I've
been wearing the mawashi all the time." .

-Some exhibition Sumo will be held on the 4th and 5th, but will you
participate?

Terunofuji: "I will decide after consulting with my Oyakata."

-Ozeki Takakeishou won the first yusho last basho., but what is your
impression?

Terunofuji: "I think he's fulfilled his responsibilities while  I was
kyujo..The  Ozeki continues to put out the best he can as is fitting for
his rank. He vied for the yusho in November and January,  And I thought to
myself- 'He's really strong"

-This year's goals?

Terunofuji "I set a goal once a year. I want to do what I couldn't do last
year, this year. I want to do my best to get double digit wins."

-Are you aiming to return for Haru Basho?

Terunofuji: "I don't know when I will be back. I will consult with my body.
I will also consult with my Oyakata. I want to be back as soon as possible.
I just want to gambarize. At this stage, I can't say when I'll be back."

-Is there a difference in pain and ease of movement after your surgery?

Terunofuji: "Since I've had surgery and to some extent, the parts that
seemed to "get caught" are much smoother now,  but I'll have to plant an
artificial joint at some point. The pain is the same as usual. I think I'll
be in a position to do some sumo pretty soon, though.."

- What do you think about the need to work extra hard as the sole Yokozuna?

Terunofuji: "No matter how many Yokozuna there are, you have to gambarize
(laughs). Whether there are three or four, whether there is one or none.
When I am gone, the next person will appear. I think that's how it goes-
things will continue. If I leave,, the Sumo Association wouldn't be in
trouble."

-When you think about your knee, do you have any concerns about your future
daily life?

Terunofuji: "If I will think about my future, I would want to quit now.."

-Are you continuing because you have to maintain your responsibility as a
yokozuna?

Terunofuji: "No. It's because I want to do it ."

-Because you like sumo?

Terunofuji: "It's not like that. I have a goal that I set once. If I don't
achieve it, I won't feel satisfied."

-The goal is  double-digit wins, you mentioned earlier..

Terunofuji: "First of all, yes."

- What is your next goal after that?

Terunofuji: "Well, I'll think about it when the time comes..."

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/a9a030e7-9877-445e-866b-076bfd0ddb2an%40googlegroups.com

For of all sad words of tongue or pen,