[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Fujinokawa Sekiwake promotion party

Jeff A jpaitv at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 18:17:29 EDT 2026


Moti


Best regards,
Gaijingai

For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these:
It might have been.
- John Greenleaf Whittier

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Oct 4, 2026 at 5:09 PM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Fujinokawa Sekiwake promotion party
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>


Fujinokawa promotion party celebration : "When I heard there was going to
be a promotion party, I thought it would be embarrassing to drop from
Sekiwake by posting a makekoshi in the September tournament," he recalled.
"That pressure drove me to work hard." Admitting, "I’m the type who
performs better under pressure," he added, "Please feel free to put the
pressure on and cheer for me." Looking ahead to the Kyushu Tournament and
beyond, he vowed, "I will continue to do sumo in my own style—constantly
moving forward—and put on matches that everyone finds impressive." [Daiki
Iioka]

The former Isenoumi Oyakata and ex-Sekiwake Takeo Morita (79) also attended
the celebration. He was the fourth-generation Fujinokawa, a slender rikishi
nicknamed "Ushiwakamaru" who electrified the sumo world during the Showa
30s and 40s, expressed his surprise at the sixth generation Fujinokawa's
performance, noting, "I thought it might be a bit of a stretch for him this
tournament, but he managed 11 wins." He further expressed his hopes for the
future, saying, "If he posts double-digit wins in two more tournaments,
he'll reach Ozeki. I want to see him again at an Ozeki celebration."

-- 

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Sumo Newsletter2" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to sumo-newsletter2+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/7600bb31-e75e-4795-b19e-e9a52fae4227n%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/7600bb31-e75e-4795-b19e-e9a52fae4227n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://server.webtrek.com/pipermail/sumo/attachments/20261004/81f815e8/attachment.html>


More information about the Sumo mailing list