[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Day 6 rikishi talk

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 09:22:23 EST 2022

Moti

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 6:23 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Day 6 rikishi talk
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

Day 6:

Akua, getting his first win of the basho: "I had a good tachiai. It feels
like there finally is a ray of light in the darkness.." He got a kensho
from a bread company yetserday and had bread for breakfast today. "I will
be eating bread for breakfast for the remaining 9 days!" he added.

Wakatakakage, beating Meisei after a furious battle: "A bout a day, I want
to properly do my brand of sumo.."

Ouhou, beating ex-Ozeki Tochinoshin: "I was able to properly move forward.
I was able to do the best sumo! It feels good. He managed to grab me but I
managed to keep my balance. He is incredibly heavy. I am able to have fun
doing sumo every day. I just need to not lose back to back. I have a bad
habit of doing that.."

Ichinojou, beating Shoudai calmly: " I didn't hurry things today. I'd like
to continue to do solid sumo."

Kaisei, winning by his opponent falling on his own: "I am not familiar with
this kind of a win..I kind of slipped on top of him in the end and sat on
him.."

Shimanoumi, losing to unbeaten Abi: "I couldn't get inside, so i wanted to
move forward and push him out.."

Ounoshou, two straight losses after 4 straight wins: " I was late at the
tachiai so i could not apply any pressure. i was beaten at the onset.."

Okinoumi getting his first win of the basho: "I'm happy I won. I will be
gambarizing from tomorrow as well, and hopefully, some good sumo will come
out of it.."

Hokutofuji, attacking swiftly , evening his record: "It can't get better
than the sumo I did today and that is good. I want to do this kind of sumo
for the rest of the basho and if I could do that tomorrow, I shall be
content.."

Meisei, third loss: "It was retreating sumo and that's not good. I want to
mount the dohyo and be able to do my own brand of sumo."

Ura, beating Kiribayama by okuridashi: "I just wanted to concentrate and go
all out with my sumo. My body just moved naturally. It's really difficult
getting those wins at this rank. All I want is to give it all I have.."

Tamawashi, handing the Yokozuna his first loss in 24 bouts: "I guess the
tachiai was good. I have been hitting him many times only to find myself
losing at the edge of the dohyo.. I'm happy to have finally won. I hadn't
planned it this way, but my timing was good. I was able to get him to the
edge in the past but could never follow through. I think it was good today.
I'll take it a bout a day and try to do my own sumo. Yes, sometimes I feel
my age, but I train a lot and am only thinking of doing my kind of sumo. My
yusho in the past? That was a long time ago and I've forgotten about it.."

Wakamotoharu, losing to Tsurugishou: "I was thinking he might come out
slapping, but my flow was bad. I can match him on the belt and with
thrusts, but he is simply much heavier than me and I couldn't get any
offence going. "

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/91453b13-670f-4366-a5ea-9082a06e78b5n%40googlegroups.com