[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - News about Takanoshou and Meisei

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 16:45:52 EST 2021

>From Moti

Gai

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 3:53 PM
Subject: [Sumo news] - News about Takanoshou and Meisei
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

Sanyaku candidate Takanoshou is seriously aiming for Ozeki. "I want to turn
this new year into a springboard year.. I want to go a bit higher in the
banzuke," he declared. Today, he lent his chest for some butsugari with
lower rankers of his heya, getting all dusty and stuff. Last basho he won
the fighting spirit prize by beating Abi on the final day. "I surprised
myself  at the extent of my calmness in doing my own sumo all the way.
Getting 11 wins in the final basho of the year made it a great basho, I
guess..I found out right before my match that if I won on the final day I
would get the prize. That gave me incentive and Abi being my 'classmate,' I
faced that bout with the feeling that I cannot lose to him, so I just went
all out.., " he said. Ozeki Takakeishou is a great presence at the heya for
him. "I look at him and how he handles himself and his behavior and tell
myself to do this and be like that and wonder if maybe it is my time to
step up. I'm gearing up for next basho and getting in shape with a good
feeling. I will be training to face the next year!" he summed.
[image: 202112140000627-w1300_0[1].jpg]

Meisei was in a philosophical, reflective mood as he pondered his
situation. "Lately I've been watching current dominant sports figures on TV
and trying to glean from their interviews how to reach a certain mental
state of mind.  I have been increasingly aware of that. I especially have
been following Shohei Otani lately, watching the documentary about him a
few days ago. He has a really great way of thinking. I am attempting to
adopt that way as something that may help me better myself," he explained.
After taking a week off to rest after last basho, Meisei restarted training
on the sixth and during that weekend started doing actual sumo. Today he
faced the Makushita and under guys from his heya and had 26 bouts. He was
makekoshi last basho (7-8) but may still retain his Sanyaku status. He got
that makekoshi on day 13, after which he won both of his remaining bouts.
"I wasn't thinking that I had to win to try to remain in sanyaku. It's been
a while since I got a makekoshi and I find it's actually a strong
incentive  for me to turn things around next basho. I guess a heavy weight
was lifted off my shoulders on the final two days, as i was able to mount
the dohyo feeling good and did excellent, natural sumo. My aim is to go
with that mental state from day one next basho, If I can do that, I will be
able to do good sumo again!" he declared.

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/74f30827-061c-4e73-af3e-8cfc9f7def9dn%40googlegroups.com

--