[sumo] Spooky sumo display may be making some Olympic ho…

Katrina Watts sumorina at mac.com
Wed Aug 4 17:17:58 EDT 2021

No problems in the final rounds yesterday, but in the preliminary rounds the day before some horses really didn’t like the sumo wrestler.

One grey horse shied badly and refused to go near the jump, though it did manage to jump through when coming at it from a different angle during the competition after taking a very wide approach.

The commentator mentioned that in the past when figures of cows or horses have been used on the wings of the jumps horses don’t like them either.

I thought the kabuki faces were more scary, but probably just looked like lines to a horse.  One horse wasn’t too keen on the Tokyo Olympics mascot on one side of the last jump in the final round.  Part of the rider’s skill to gain the confidence of the horse enough to trust that what it is being asked to jump is in fact safe.

The Japanese cultural themes displayed in the jumps were varied and imaginative, temples, castles, cherry blossoms also a bullet train, origami, chopsticks and traditional hair ornaments as well as bamboo fences and stone bridges.

Interestingly, in the arena almost empty of spectators, like at the Kokugikan without audience, you could hear the horses breathing and the riders clicking encouragement to their mounts or even saying “Go”.

In the final result - won by Britain and with the Japanese rider 6th - there were 3 horses from Sweden in the top 5.  The Swedish horses compete “barefoot”.  They seemed to do very well that way and didn’t have the problem of throwing a shoe on the way round the course as happened a to  a couple of competititors.

Sorry, too much information perhaps but then my mother used to say that I only got interested in sumo when I went to Japan because I couldn’t hang out with horses.  I had to admit there were some similarities.  The young rikishi wearing wooden geta sounded like horse clipclopping along the street, wrestlers lived in stables, they were powerful and their bodies steamed like horses during keiko, and afterwards the sweaty dirty rikishi were  sometimes scraped down with a piece of bamboo like scraping the sweat or water off a wet horse.

Now back living in rural Australia I see more horses than rikishi, thank goodness it’s only just over a month to the September basho!

Katrina
Sent from my iPad