[sumo] A Pre-Basho moment

JK joe_kuroda at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 16:06:08 EST 2020

Here's another pre-basho story:
It's a return of 28 year old Terunofuji to sekitori rank this coming basho at Juryo West 13.  You just need to admire persistence and dedication required to rise up all the way from Jonidan ranking.
Terunofuji arrived at a de-geiko with full of vigor at Tokitsukaze Beya on Jan 8, going after ozeki candidate Asanoyama beating him three straight times, getting into Migi-yotsu and pushing him out with yorikiri.  Altogether Terunofuji finished the day with 6 wins and 1 loss.
"He (Asanoyama) sprints out well and is realy flexible. He has power as well so I was trying to get to him before he started out," spoke Terunofuji rather modestly but it's clear that he is regaining his former glory.
Even after his training sessions on dohyo,Terunofuji was not taking it easy, not even taking a brief break, he just went straight into hitting weights and more strength exercises.   "You know I am feeling much better than before. I sure sweated enough today," Terunofuji said with beaming smile.
Jonosuke