[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - More..
Jeff A
jpaitv at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 16:58:17 EDT 2026
Moti
Best regards,
Gaijingai
For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these:
It might have been.
- John Greenleaf Whittier
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Sep 27, 2026 at 4:02 PM
Subject: [Sumo news] - More..
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>
Hello friends,
Please let me know if this is too much information. I feel I do get carried
away sometimes, but the news seems to be interesting..
Tamawashi , the oldest sekitori at 41 and ranked Juryo 3E, lost his final
bout today to Kayou, finishing the tournament with a 10-5 record. A victory
would have secured him a spot in the yusho playoff against Kitanowaka and
Kagayaki, who were tied at 11 wins before he had his own match. However,
Kayou drove him upward with a thrust and then executed a well-timed
hikiotoshi; Kayou reached 11 wins and snatched the playoff ticket away from
him. After the match, Tamawashi reflected on his failure to exert pressure
at the tachiai, admitting, "I wanted to do my own sumo, but my weaknesses
showed. I overthought things." Regarding the fact that a yusho was within
reach, he noted, "I was focused on the match at hand, so that didn't
matter," indicating it had no impact on his performance today.
Nevertheless, he acknowledged his own effort, having achieved double-digit
wins for the first time in seven tournaments since the Nagoya tournament
last year when he was in Makuuchi, and showed appreciation for his body,
which will turn 42 during the next tournament. Looking ahead to the next
tournament, where his return to Makuuchi is all but certain, he expressed
an energetic drive: "I want to train hard so I don't drop back down [to
Juryo] right away. I want to build up my strength, my power."
Dewanojou (32, the heaviest active rikishi at 252 kg, is retiring after
this tournament, meaning Hakuoumaru (28 ) will take over as the heaviest
rikishi starting next tournament. While Higonoryuu (40) once weighed 224.5
kg, he has since slimmed down to around 180 kg. Based on current weights,
Hakuoumaru, who clocked in at 222.7 kg during the health check prior to the
Autumn Tournament, is considered the heaviest. He made his professional
debut at the 2017 Spring Tournament, and his highest rank to date is
Sandanme 5W. He weighed 163 kg when he first joined the sumo world and is
now at his heaviest weight ever. Regarding his status as the heaviest
rikishi, he remarked, "I’d heard that was the case, but I hadn't really
realized it myself." He did not gain the weight intentionally. "I eat
everything without being picky. I eat when I feel like it, and the weight
just went up as a result. If there are gifts of food left out, I end up
eating them." His Oyakata Tokitsukaze allows him to eat food given as gifts
but forbids him from buying snacks on his own. His favorite food is
Japanese-style fried chicken (karaage). "It goes best with rice. I like
sweets, too, and I'm happy to receive any kind of food gift." He doesn't
drink alcohol but loves udon noodles; his favorite spot is "Udon Dining
Yoshi" in Ryogoku. "The toriten (chicken tempura) is delicious. When I go
at night, I order a large bowl of udon, a large portion of toriten, and
some skewered tempura," he said. Of course, he wants to make his mark
through his sumo wrestling, not just his size. "I want people to see sumo
where I use my physique to drive straight forward," he said.
--
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Sumo Newsletter2" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to sumo-newsletter2+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/cfe03a8f-5c9d-492e-b41b-d66ac6cf2083n%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/cfe03a8f-5c9d-492e-b41b-d66ac6cf2083n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://server.webtrek.com/pipermail/sumo/attachments/20260927/b6b9ce9b/attachment.html>
More information about the Sumo
mailing list