[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Retirement

Jeff A jpaitv at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 08:10:35 EDT 2026


Moti


Best regards,
Gaijingai

For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these:
It might have been.
- John Greenleaf Whittier

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Sep 26, 2026 at 1:14 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Retirement
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>


Celeb club member and heaviest rikishi in sumo (252 kilos) Dewanojou has
retired after winning his last bout at Sandanme 67E. Upon returning through
the east hanamichi , he was greeted by fellow rikishi from Dewanoumi beya.
"My sumo career began with a loss in Jonokuchi. I think it’s a good thing I
was able to wrap it up with a win," he said with a smile. He decided to
retire as both his body and mind were reaching their limits; he had a
history of muscle tears in his right shoulder and chest, as well as
ligament damage in his right ankle. "Even with treatment or surgery,
there’s a risk of recurrence. I was told I wouldn't fully recover as long
as I remained an active rikishi." Last year, his maternal grandfather,
Hideo Hayase, passed away at the age of 88. "As his first grandchild, he
was my biggest supporter. Losing him affected me deeply. I had felt I was
reaching my limit for two or three years, and I realized I couldn't keep
relying on the sumo world forever." He hails from Kaminokawa Town in
Tochigi Prefecture's Kawachi District and was a first baseman for the
baseball team at Mibu High School in Tochigi. A supporter of the Dewanoumi
beya—an alumnus of a rival high school—tipped off the then-Oyakata Dekiyama
(former Sekiwake Dewanohana) about a "big kid," prompting the Oyakata to
scout him at his high school. Although he initially had no interest in
professional sumo, his mindset changed after watching the morning keiko on
the opening day of the 2012 New Year Tournament. "That’s when I realized
how amazing sumo is." He made his professional debut at the Spring
Tournament that same year. Fourteen and a half years have passed since
then. His highest rank was Makushita 44E. As a tsukebito to Mitakeumi, he
played a long-standing role in supporting the heya's star rikishir. "He
gave me so many wonderful experiences. I even got to see him win a Makuuchi
yusho. To me, he is the coolest sekitori of all." There are many bouts that
stand out in his memory. "I faced both Asahifuji and Tanji. The fact that I
competed against them while they were on the rise is something I can still
talk about to others, even now that I’ve retired."

-- 

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Sumo Newsletter2" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to sumo-newsletter2+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/d4fb9037-f348-4026-99f5-33ce8fe6052cn%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/d4fb9037-f348-4026-99f5-33ce8fe6052cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://server.webtrek.com/pipermail/sumo/attachments/20260926/e9f3e33a/attachment.html>


More information about the Sumo mailing list