[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Ichiyamamoto, Tamawashi words

Jeff A jpaitv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 13:21:00 EDT 2026


Moti

Best regards,
Gaijingai

For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these:
It might have been.
- John Greenleaf Whittier

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 21, 2026 at 9:07 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Ichiyamamoto, Tamawashi words
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>


Tamawashi (41), ranked  Juryo 3E, secured his fifth win, moving his record
into positive territory. He defeated Kitanowaka,  Juryo 6W, with a
come-from-behind tsukiotoshi. Although he initially forced his opponent
back, the situation suddenly turned dire; he found himself leaning
precariously backward with his feet on the edge of the dohyo. Just as his
opponent aimed for a nodowa, Tamawashi executed a thrust-down with his left
hand. "I stayed calm and managed to bring him down at the end," he
reflected. After starting the tournament with three consecutive losses, he
maded a comeback, winning his last four bouts to reach a 5–4 record. While
he acknowledged being happy to have more wins than losses, he remained
unsatisfied, stating, "I want to focus on the quality of my sumo."
Regarding the day's match, he remarked, "It's good that I won," but after a
few seconds of silence, he sternly admonished himself: "That was sloppy!"
The come-from-behind victory, achieved through remarkable tenacity, drew a
thunderous roar from the crowd at the Kokugikan. "The fact that the crowd
got so excited means I did my job properly," he said with satisfaction.
This "Ironman" rikishi, who turns 42 in November, gave a sharp retort when
asked about fatigue after Day 9: "What are you talking about?" He added,
"Even if I were tired, I wouldn't tell you," before leaving the venue.

Ichiyamamoto  put up a spirited fight despite suffering from a bloodshot
left eye today. He faced Shishi. Unable to overpower his opponent with a
direct push at the tachiai, the bout turned into an exchange of tsuppari.
Although he managed to drive forward by securing an inside grip with his
right arm, he was caught by a kotenage throw from the left; he was flipped
over and landed flat on his back on the dohyo. His back was caked in dirt,
his left eye was intensely bloodshot, and blood was seeping from a scrape
at the outer corner of his right eye. With this loss, his record fell to
1–8, sealing a makekoshi for the basho. Reflecting on the match,
Ichiyamamoto said, "I couldn't drive him back effectively. That was a
situation where I needed to fully secure the inside grip and get in close
to decide the match. My grip was too shallow, and I got swung around by his
arm-lock throw. Man, I'm tired." Regarding his current struggle to secure a
win, he noted, "I was the first in the Makuuchi division to clinch a
makekoshi. Usually, being number one is a good thing, but this was the one
time I didn't want to be first." When asked about the painful-looking state
of his left eye, with the whites now bright red and whether a finger had
poked it, he offered a dry laugh and replied, "I just took a lot of blows
to the face." [Kazuhiro Masuda]

-- 

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Sumo Newsletter2" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to sumo-newsletter2+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/b392f361-f93c-41ae-8f22-035de76dc6d6n%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/b392f361-f93c-41ae-8f22-035de76dc6d6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://server.webtrek.com/pipermail/sumo/attachments/20260921/f4ffe1ef/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Sumo mailing list