[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Jungyo news- Ichiyamamoto and Takayasu

Jeff A jpaitv at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 10:08:56 EDT 2026


Moti


Best regards,
Gaijingai

For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these:
It might have been.
- John Greenleaf Whittier

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 10:04 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Jungyo news- Ichiyamamoto and Takayasu
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>


Funny man Ichiyamamoto  wasted no time in energizing the event today, the
first day of the Aki Jungyo.. He participated in a "kids' sumo" session
alongside Takayasu and Ryuuden. During the bouts, he put on a show, even
taking a spectacular fall chest-first during an exchange of throws. He
shouted boisterous encouragement to a child facing Ryuuden. When Takayasu
defeated a large boy with a sukuinage, Ichiyamamoto loudly protested and
used exaggerated gestures to insist on a rematch. Takayasu won again, but
Ichiyamamoto intervened once more, finally guiding the child to a victory
on the third attempt. Ichiyamamoto is known for his signature style of
shouting cheers and using big, expressive gestures with his mouth wide open
and arms flailing. Fans are well-acquainted with his wonderful rapport with
children during these sumo sessions. Regarding his approach, he said, "I
think big movements and a loud voice convey the energy to everyone in the
venue. I’ve been doing this for a year or two, I suppose. I just want to
bring a little joy to the spectators." In the Autumn Tournament, he
competed at Maegashira 6W and finished with a 4-11 record. "I suffered a
heavy ,makekoshi, so I want to get back to fighting the joi as soon as
possible," he vowed. Although he had bulked up for the tournament, he
noted, "My body felt a bit heavy. I plan to lose some weight during the
jungyo, and then build it back up properly while training after it ends."
He intends to learn from this experience and make a comeback. The Aki
Jungyo continues until the 25th (in Ube, Yamaguchi), with the announcement
of the new banzuke  scheduled for the 26th.

The Jungyo arrived at Tsukuba City, Ibaraki Prefecture, and drawing loud
cheers for Takayasu, a native of neighboring Tsuchiura City. During the
Natsu Jungyo, he initially trained vigorously but was forced to withdraw
after injuring his left adductor muscle. He struggled with his preparation
leading up to the Autumn Tournament and started with consecutive losses,
yet he managed to defeat Ozeki Kirishima on the third day. He demonstrated
his enduring strength on the fourth day by securing a kinboshi against
Oonosato. Although he lost on the final day, entering the bout with a 7-7
record—he reflected positively, saying, "I'm relieved I was able to
complete the full 15 days. I never imagined I'd be able to compete that
long." His hometown of Tsuchiura borders Tsukuba City; While he did not
compete in official matches, he offered himself as a practice partner for
local children after the training session, smiling as he said, "I hope to
see many kids taking up sumo." With 41-year-old Tamawashi likely returning
to Makuuchi for the Kyushu Basho, Takayasu is set to relinquish the title
of the division's oldest wrestler. He remained unfazed, however,
commenting, "I'll only have held that spot for a single basho, after all.
It’s not exactly something to be thrilled about. My main goal now is simply
to stay healthy until the basho begins."

-- 

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Sumo Newsletter2" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to sumo-newsletter2+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/3ee86f74-c43e-437d-b066-b397f1945c59n%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/3ee86f74-c43e-437d-b066-b397f1945c59n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://server.webtrek.com/pipermail/sumo/attachments/20261006/ee147b2b/attachment.html>


More information about the Sumo mailing list