[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Hidenoumi danpatsushiki
Jeff A
jpaitv at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 10:49:12 EDT 2026
Moti
Best regards,
Gaijingai
For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these:
It might have been.
- John Greenleaf Whittier
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Oct 3, 2026 at 5:41 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Hidenoumi danpatsushiki
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>
The danpatsushiki for ex- Makuuchi Hidenoumi who retired following this
year's Spring Tournament, was held on the 3rd at the Ryogoku Kokugikan in
Tokyo. During the ceremony, about 300 people, including Yokozuna
Houshouryuu and Ozeki Kotozakura, took turns making a ceremonial cut to his
mage. Finally, Kise Oyakata performed the final cut, marking the end of
his 14-year career as a rikishi. Hidenoumi began sumo at age seven and
joined Kise beya after attending Saitama Sakae High School and Nihon
University, making his professional debut at the 2012 Summer Tournament. He
favored a migi-yotsu and reached a career-high rank of Maegashira 6E. His
overall record stood at 541 wins, 539 losses, and 22 absences. On this day,
he faced his younger brother, Tobizaru a bout that would be their first and
last against each other, and won via yorikiri after a spirited bout. "I
think he went a little easy on me," he remarked. "He managed to get a
morozashi on me right away and he really showed why he's an active,
top-flight Makuuchi rikishi. He's strong." After having his hair styled and
returning to the dohyo in a suit, he was once again met with thunderous
applause. "Every day, I worried about what I’d do if the audience was
sparse and the arena empty, but I am so happy to have been sent off by so
many people," he said in his address. "I spent 14 years in professional
sumo and about the same amount of time as an amateur, and I truly feel from
the bottom of my heart that I’m glad I pursued sumo. I received more cheers
than I ever heard during actual tournaments, and it made me so happy."
--
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Sumo Newsletter2" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to sumo-newsletter2+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/d85e5904-96bb-4f9d-b583-96bf5b00102dn%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/d85e5904-96bb-4f9d-b583-96bf5b00102dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://server.webtrek.com/pipermail/sumo/attachments/20261003/cdd20e64/attachment.html>
More information about the Sumo
mailing list