[sumo] Sumo: Is Japan′s national sport on the ropes?

R. Brown brownro214 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 18:39:51 EDT 2022

Watching the videos of the crowds at the recent basho and at the various
venues on the Autumn regional tour, I would disagree with the writer on
many points.  There were large and enthusiastic crowds everywhere and I saw
many non-elderly fans in attendance.  If there is any downside, I would say
it is COVID related.  Sumo fans like to get up close to their favorite
wrestlers.  They like to see their faces and have their picture taken with
them.  The COVID protocols have made that neigh impossible for almost three
years now.  The relaxed social distance requirements on the Autumn tour
have been welcomed enthusiastically by the fans.

Kodaiyama