[sumo] Cops, chaos and an angry coach cause stir at sumo…

Nick Tallyn nick_tallyn at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 10 22:19:28 EDT 2022

 Since neither the article nor the video really covered it, the gyoji did not award a win initially before the judges met on the dohyo to confer. They overturned the presumed result, and we saw the protesting in the video. After that, there was further discussion off the dohyo, including several additional people (I don't know who they were, perhaps Katrina or someone else can provide some insight?); at one point during this discussion, Katrina was also involved (perhaps translating?). She then started to head back to the announcing table, but was waved back to be included again. Then finally, we had the announcement about the rematch.

Of course, during the rematch, the Ukrainian (Karachenko) was awarded the win before another conference (where it was determined that he had rolled his foot over the edge of the tawara before Elsefy hit the ground) overturned it.
Also not mentioned was that after his semifinal match, Karachenko had tried to pump up the crowd while waiting for his downed opponent to return to the dohyo for the ending bow. And Elsefy had been warned about celebrating after his semifinal victory.

The whole scene was quite crazy.
Asashosakari posted this link (https://www.mediafire.com/file/54k3jbo0kpdo78m/2022_World_Games_Sumo_Weight_Class_Finals.mp4/file ) for the coverage at Sumo Forum (Karachenko's first match is at 25:00; the match in question starts at 40:00; the rematch is at 50:30).
After reviewing the video, I had forgotten that the bronze medal winner (also Ukrainian) did a backflip on the dohyo after the medal ceremony (at 1:07:00).

My (sumo neophyte) wife much appreciated Katrina explaining everything that was going on, and how diplomatic she was in explaining things to the crowd.

Oyama