[sumo] [Spoiler]New banzuke

Jan de Veen chijanofuji at ziggo.nl
Mon Dec 26 07:38:21 EST 2022

Rikishi being listed as a lone Ozeki on a banzuke - subsequently
requiring a Yokozuna (if present) to be designated as Yokozuna-Ozeki -
is rare but not ultra rare. It actually happened more frequently in the
late 1970's and early 1980's and a couple of times in he 1950's as well.
And we (me included) already seem to have forgotten the last time we
only had one Ozeki.  Just like this time it was also Takakeisho, namely
during Haru 2020 (after Goeido's demotion).

But I hadn't seen a single previous occasion of both 4 Sekiwake and 4
Komusubi occur on a banzuke until Akinomaki in the Sumo Forum pointed
out that Japanese media had already mentioned the last time it happened,
namely 1962 Natsu. That banzuke had 3 Yokozuna and 3 Ozeki as well,
tough, making a total of 13 rikishi ranked at Komusubi or higher.

However, I'm relatively confident that only 1 Ozeki on a banzuke (let
alone with 1 Yokozuna, never mind if he's designated as Yokozuna-Ozeki
or not) in COMBINATION with 4 Sekiwake and 4 Komusubi probably never
occurred before. 😉

Kind regards,

Chijanofuji