[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - More on Hakuhou

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 05:41:31 EDT 2021

Moti’s Musings.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 3:31 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - More on Hakuhou
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

Hakuhou had planned on announcing his retirement after Nagoya, but the
Kyokai were all "why retire after a zensho, you still have it" etc. He
spoke with his family and decided to continue. Then came the Corona
Miyagino detention, where his whole heya had to sit out Aki basho because
of the virus. He saw it as a blessing, planning to use the extra down time
to heal his injured right knee. It turns out  the knee has not healed as he
had planned. So he decided to retire. An official Kyokai announcement is
expected within a few days. As an aside, and not surprisingly, the Kyokai
finds itself in a serious bind. One yokozuna left. This Yokozuna, as strong
as he may be, is working on borrowed time, as we say in Corsica. One
misstep, one wrong fall, and the delicate knees are in danger. The way I
feel, every time he mounts the dohyo can be the last. And the current crop
of kadoban yes kadoban no Ozeki are in no way immediate candidates for
Yokozuna. We may find ourselves with no yokozuna and one Ozeki come March.
OK, one Yokozuna and one Ozeki. and it's not like we even have real Ozeki
contenders with the erratic lot of late, starting with Mitakeumi and
culminating with Takayasu with the up and coming youngsters far from making
a serious impression record-wise. We shall see.

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/316d4832-a636-4f06-b379-eef0b7a8b204n%40googlegroups.com

For of all sad words of tongue or pen,