[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Day 12 rikishi talk

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 12:57:05 EDT 2021

Moti

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 12:56 PM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Day 12 rikishi talk
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

Day 12:

During the Juryo dohyo-iri, Nishikigi was called Nishikifuji by the
announcer. Not out of the question, such a mistake.  "I've never seen such
a thing!! Wow," said a housewife from Sapporo on Tsuwitaa. Nishikigi later
won his bout.

The battle of those with three loses was won by Ounoshou (against
Mitakeumi) today. "I was able to move forward and attack well. I
was properly thinking of moving forward, so that is good. The yusho race?
I'm not thinking of that specifically. I'm concentrating on a day at a time
and will properly go about it seriously!"

Kadoban Ozeki Takakeishou go his kachikoshi today. NOBODY thought he could
do that after day 3: "Today, like all days, I knew I could only concentrate
and do my best. That was all I was thinking about. I wanted to be
assertive. My result will be final when this is all over. If I don't have
the ability, I would get a makekoshi. It's all about the result. I can only
concentrate!" It is the first time since the kadoban system was established
in July 1969 that a kadoban rikishi lost his first three bouts and managed
to get a kachikoshi. "With four losses, I can't be thinking of the yusho
race.  I just have to go all out. To that end, I shall be concentrating on
tomorrow's bout, mathematical possibility notwithstanding.."

Meisei, beating Terunofuji and making the race somewhat more interesting:
"I was planning on somehow confusing the Yokozuna , even a bit. I was
absorbed in the moment. It was the first time I beat him., and more than
saying we are from the same class, my opponent is the Yokozuna. I wasn't
thinking too much about it and went with all I had. I still need that
kachikoshi. I shall go out there again tomorrow fully concentrated. I don't
want to go out there overthinking the fact that I need to win.."

Endou wins and remains in the yusho race. He rarely says anything, and when
he does, he says nothing: " I was thinking that I needed to properly do my
own sumo. I shall gambarize!"

Ura, first makekoshi in two years: "I'm just trying to go out there every
day feeling the same way, but..  It's very hard. There are three bouts left
so I will be going all out and gambarizing!"

Abi, 10th win in Juryo and a Makuuchi return looming after 7 bashos:
"Before the basho I was thinking of a return to Makuuchi, but as soon as
the basho started I have not given it a thought. I am able to go about it
with astounding concentration!"

Chiyotairyuu,  losing but closing in on kachikoshi: "The fact I allowed my
opponent to get a double inside grip was bad. I think my body is as healthy
as a guy in his twenties.."

Kagayaki, handing Myougiryuu his third loss: "I was able to pressure him
without my legs stopping and by moving forward. If I can consistently do
this kind of sumo the results will follow.".

Shimanoumi, winning on his Oyakata Kise's 52nd birthday: "The flow after
the tachiai was good. I was able to properly put pressure on my opponent.
It's my Oyakata's birthday so I'm happy I can celebrate it with a win!"

Kaisei, 2nd straight basho with a makekoshi: "My power has significantly
dropped. I feel I am getting weaker and weaker every year.."

Daieishou,  winning quickly and one win away from kachikoshi: "I just want
to properly do my own sumo till the end in the remaining days. I'm still
lacking in power and I just need to train and become stronger."

Ichinojou, beating Ozeki Shoudai and now evening his record at 6-6: "I want
to do my best to win on the remaining days.."

Shoudai, losing to Ichinojou who he was 3-9 against, 4th loss "I should
have grabbed his mawashi or got some kind of a hold and somehow stopped his
forward movement.."

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/2b8f6958-c9d1-4426-a9b8-8af066d20fcan%40googlegroups.com