[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Day 5- Rikishi talk

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 10:23:56 EDT 2021

>From Moti

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 9:57 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Day 5- Rikishi talk
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

Day 5:

New Juryo Asashiyuu (Murata) on getting his first win as a sekitori: "At
least I now have one win. I'd like to make this a turning point and ride
the flow on the road to recovery.. I( was aiming to grab my opponent's belt
but I couldn't get my right hand in. But I did not get confused and
attacked from underneath and that was good.. I have felt that my body was
moving well since day one so all I need is to improve my first step and do
forward-moving sumo.."

Juryo Abi, 3-2 and in a position to return to Makuuchi: "I was able to
concentrate. I think the content was good. Physically I have ben100% since
day 1 but I was having difficulties concentrating. I shall do my best to
concentrate from tomorrow."

Tsurugishou, coming off a virus scare with a 40 centigrade  fever, turns
out it was cellulitis, winning with a henka upon his return today: "I had
an IV drip this morning. I planned on making the bout as quick as possible.
I wasn't thinking of doing good sumo. I just wanted that win, regardless of
fever or leg pains.."

Shoudai, facing Wakatakakage who beat him the last three times they met:
"Truth be told, I had no image in my head, but that helped me just go all
out. My timing and my first step were good. If I can repeat this kind of
sumo the results should follow." Hakkaku on Shoudai: "When he got his yusho
he was mostly moving forward. It reminds me of how he did today. He should
remember the feeling of how it was back then.."

Takakeishou, beating Kotonowaka and getting his second win: "I am me so I
need to gambarize on my own. I'll be thinking about what I want to do and
how I want to do it.."

Kotonowaka, losing in his first Ozeki  match: "The atmosphere and the flow
were different. I felt that I won't be able to win unless I get stronger
mentally."

Chiyonokuni, tied for the lead, winning at the last minute: "My body
responded well. I think I have been properly concentrating day by day.."

Hidenoumi winning by the rare kimarite ushiromotare: "My opponent had the
advantage at the tachiai, but I think my flow was good. He's a small guy
but he's strong and I didn't want him to grab my mawashi. It seemed a bit
coincidental, but instead of fussing about I was assertive. At the end, I
pushed him out with my back. I saw that my throw was not enough to get him
out of the dohyo.. It was by accident."

Ura, winning by the spectacular okuritsuridashi: "I have to watch it first
to comment on it.. When I got his back I may have hurried things a little.
That's the part that is dangerous if not done right.." He seemed to have
been inspired by a Makushita bout he saw today between Amanoshima and
Dainichidou- Amanoshima was behind Dainichidou pushing him out and suddenly
collapsed and couldn't win, losing by the non-kimarite tsukihiza. "That was
swimming in my mind.. It's the first time I did it- one more for the bag..
I'm really happy."

Terunofuji, beating Kiribayama and remaining unbeaten: "I was thinking of
going about it calmly. I wasn't in a position to make any moves.. I have
only been thinking of going about it calmly these last five days. I was
able to concentrate on each bout at a time.."

Takadagawa Oyakata, chief judge during the second half: "Terunofuji was
calmly waiting to get into the position that he liked. He was being very
careful. Kiribayama also did well, but couldn't finish it off.."

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/2d53795d-87a0-4af5-8514-1cf9d1c02d21n%40googlegroups.com

For of all sad words of tongue or pen,