[sumo] Chiyonofuji tops all-time favorite sumo ranking -…

Emmett Wayne eswayne2009 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 21 09:57:37 EDT 2021

 I only saw him as Kokonoe Oyakata in person.  But he was one of my favorites when I got hooked on Sumo while in the Army in Japan from 1989 - 1992.
Torideyama
    On Friday, March 19, 2021, 09:00:02 PM CDT, R. Brown <brownro214 at gmail.com> wrote:

 Not surprised.  How many of the respondents actually saw Chiyonofuji or Taiho in action?  Taiho retired 50 years ago and the Wolf 30 years ago, but they are 2 and 3 in basho victories.  Note all three were Japanese.  Could a foreigner ever be considered the "favorite" in Japan?  Who is the favorite baseball player (Ichiro of course), the favorite pop band (probably not a K-pop band).  Not hating on anyone.  I lived in Japan for a couple of years and they are wonderful people, but they are also an insular and homogeneous population.
Kodaiyama