[sumo] Hypothetical GOAT debate

Jan de Veen chijanofuji at ziggo.nl
Wed Jul 28 09:57:21 EDT 2021

Hakuho indeed had a significant advantage in his direct matches with
Asashoryu towards the end of the latter's career.  He was simply
physically stronger that Asashoryu. In the 7-basho period from January
2009 through January 2010 (Asashoryu's last basho), Hakuho beat
Asashoryu 7 of the 9 times they faced each other. Both of Asashoryu's
wins were in a yusho playoff, he lost all "regular" bouts.

Not only that - by 2009 Hakuho was already dominating in the overall
results as well.  In the period I mentioned above Hakuho won 3 yusho and
4 jun-yusho, all but one with a record of 14-1 or better (14-1, 15-0,
14-1, 14-1, 14-1, 15-0, 12-3). In that same period Asashoryu won 3 yusho
and 1 jun-yusho but finished below the runner-up position in the 3 other
basho (14-1, 11-4, 12-3, 10-5, 14-1, 11-4, 13-2)

Sadly, we'll never know how long Asashoryu would have lasted and how
well he would have done, nor how it would have affected Hakuho's record.
Asa was 29 when he was thrown out of Sumo. Hakuho turned 25 a month
after Asashoryu's untimely exit and had just begun to  really dominate -
he had his 63-bout unbeaten streak from Kyusho 2009 day 13 through
Kyushu 2010 day 1. It stands to reason Asashoryu would probably have
stopped Hakuho from winning at least a couple of yusho before retiring
in a regular manner. How many would he have taken from the GOAT? I'd say
anywhere between 2 and 6 or 7, but that's just a gut feeling.

Kind regards,

Chijanofuji

--
https://www.avg.com