[sumo] Knock some sense into sumo | The Japan Times

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 20:15:45 EDT 2020

(This is a letter to the editor from a reader)

Gaijingai

Sumo bravely continued, holding its recent tournament without the roar of
the the crowds, but with the sickening sound of head-to-head collisions.
Please protect these men from serious brain injuries.

The Japan Sumo Association must adopt a standing tachi-ai (the initial
charge at the start of a bout).

In other sports, all athletes who risk head injury from collisions are
either pulled for observation, as in the National Football League in the
United States, or the potentially damaging move is prohibited, as in
headers in soccer.

Sumo is a serious sport. Let’s be sensible before these rikishi are knocked
senseless.

--
Best regards,
Jeffrey Anderson