[sumo] Goeido's Mom Speaks

Jonosuke Gomen gomen.jonosuke at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 13:30:58 EST 2020

Goeido was a local favorite, no question.  Goeido himself had strong
sentiment and feeling to Osaka fans. Many of us myself included believed he
would try and regain ozeki title back again in front of his fans in Osaka
next basho. He may have had no other bigger fan than his mother, Mayumi,
and it's really touching to hear her feeling on his retirement
(unfortunately her Osaka dialect gets lost in translation).
M: I got a call from him after Day 1. Just a way he was talking, I kind of
sensed he was thinking of retirement. I had the feeling for some time but
this time I felt that the time may have come.

I made a day trip from Osaka to see him lose to Asanoyama resulting in his
makekoshi. In the subsequent last three days I thought he would announce
his retirement but learned he would continue on through media reporting.

I thought then, "OK he would fight on and do his best till Osaka (Basho)".

You know he would never call unless there is something more or less urgent
or when he is coming home. I was thinking we would have Osaka next, so he
would work hard and fight on... then he spoke, "I will retire". I knew he
did have his mind set already.

He started sumo when he was in Grade 1. There was nothing else except Sumo
since then. Sure there were times he strayed a bit here and there but in
his heart there was always sumo, nothing else. He picked high school
(Saitama Sakae) because of sumo.

I am sure he has been talking to his shisho (Sakaigawa oyakata) but I have
no doubt he decided this by himself. Once he makes up his mind, no one can
change it. he has been always like that.

Myself, I have been following Gotaro's sumo solely for the last 25 years. I
know I will miss him dearly. How can I describe this, being lost perhaps.
I have been always planning for next basho, like which day I should go and
watch his bout.  It's all gone now. But because of him I have learned to
love sumo.  He has trained and worked so hard all these years.

When he comes back home and when I see him, what can I say to him?

Regardless I will keep cheering for him.

Gomen Komuru,
Jonosuke