[sumo] Sumo: JSA begins coronavirus testing for wrestlers, stablemasters (Jeffrey Anderson)

sumo at paketjapan.com sumo at paketjapan.com
Tue May 19 20:32:47 EDT 2020

Hi Jeff, hope you're keeping safe.

Interesting article, but intrigued as to why they would use an antibody
test.

It may be useful for tracing spread and exposure, but doesn't give much
info on active infections and false negative rate may be substantial.

Most other professional sporting bodies around the world that I am aware of
are testing athletes with tests that detect the RNA of the virus.

Not sure what is to be gained for the rikishi by doing the antibody test,
other than there are some forms of it that give you a result within 15
minutes. Given above caveats though, this is not really an advantage when
trying to get your sport active again by having comprehensive test results,
especially when there have been confirmed positive infections amongst your
athletes and staff.

Hmm.
When it comes to the Sumo Kyokai though, I suppose
"Theirs not to reason why ..."

Best to all the Sumo ML members and families.

Cheers,
Puchashuzon