[sumo] Thinking of Tochiozan

JK joe_kuroda at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 15:08:33 EST 2020

In a way Tokushoryu may have accomplished what was expected of him as after all he was one of what is commonly  known in Ozumo as "Hana no Rokuichi Class" (those born in Showa Year 61 (some cases early born Shower 62ers), considered to be the cream of crops.
He went to Meitoku Gijuku High (that's the one Asashoryu also attended) before going to a well known Kinki University Sumo Club. He has never became College Yokozuna so obviously he has started from Maezumo but he obviously was destined to be a sekitori.
Thought of that Rokuichi class today as hearing Ozeki Goeido announcing his retirement.  Goeido along with Kisenosato was the two elites of the Rokuichi Class. I have been following Goeido's sumo life since he was at Saitama Sakae High where he was a standout. So in my mind his sumo life has been inexorably connected to Tochiozan. Tochiozan at Meitoku Gijuku High and Goeido from Sakae had faced each other so many times back then and since. Whenever they faced each other, their bout was not to be missed as they obviously hated to lose to the other. Both entered Ozumo at the same time.  While Goeido elevated himself eventually all the way to Ozeki for some reason Tochiozan never seemed to fulfill his abundant potential he possessed in his high school years.
Now knowing another of the "61" winning Yusho and another announcing retirement, I am wondering if Tochiozan ever proves his true worth before he too retires?  He reached East Sekiwake a couple of times and he should be as equipped in sumo ability as the 61er Tokushoryu, his Meitoku Gijuku High Sumo Club mate.
Tokushoryu's yusho this basho and his long time sumo rival Goeido's retirement should wake Tochiozan from all those indifferent bouts he has been showing recently.
Incidentally in the same class of 61, we still have Myogiryu, Aoiyama, Takarafuji, Kaisei, Ikioi, Gagamaru, Kitaharima and Nionoumi.  Two retired were Kisenosato and Arawashi, now joined by Goeido.