[sumo] Peril of Being Shimpan

JK joe_kuroda at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 24 16:31:17 EST 2020

Currently as I am following closely Kitanowaka whom I considered to be the next up and comer,  and on Day 12  the next bout featuring Okinofuji and Amakaze (https://youtu.be/CcboyOHo2Og) resulted in Asakayama oyakata (former Ozeki Kaio) going down with what appeared to be a severe injury and wonder if anyone knows how he is doing since.
He was at the chief shimpan seat when both rikishi fell over on top of him - I believe almost close to 200 Kg Oniknofuji's leg hit him directly between his legs as he was trying to get away. He was in a lot of pain and could not get up for at least a minute or so before he got wheeled out.
I remember during his active days he suffered so much from all injuries he had, he was saying it took him half an hour to get out of bed but he must have never imagined he could suffer that bad of pain from inury after he retired.
Anyway the show must obviously had to go on so he was quickly replaced with one of the other shimpan while he was down agonizing on the floor and the next bout quickly started.  They went on without having another shimpan showing up.
Jonosuke