[sumo] University sumo coach dies

Katrina Watts sumorina at mac.com
Sat Jan 18 07:18:49 EST 2020

So sad to hear the news that Mr Katsuhiko Ito, coach of the Kindai University Sumo Club had died suddenly.  He was only 55 and a wonderful man who will be very greatly missed.

Coach Ito had an impressive sumo career as an amateur including becoming the 40th Amateur Yokozuna before taking on the job of coach at the university, where he himself had been a student.

Mr Ito was a good friend to me and always kind and supportive to athletes and coaches who came to compete in the amateur Sumo World Championships, patiently explaining techniques and giving encouragement during training sessions.  As coach of the Japanese team he took his duties very seriously, but though I may have heard him being stern on occasion, my memories of him are by far of his smiling face and genial personality.
:
The amateur sumo world has lost a most valued and important member.  Ozumo too benefitted from several of his students who entered the professional ranks.  Current Sekiwake, Asanoyama, was a student of Kindai and coached by Mr Ito, and will no doubt be feeling the shock of losing his mentor.

Katsuhiko Ito, gone too soon, but not soon forgotten,

Katrina Watts
Sent from my iPad