[sumo] New Post

JK joe_kuroda at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 5 13:34:19 EST 2020

All;
I did not realize I was on any sumo list so I was kind of surprised as I don't really post anything for a long long time.  While I seem to get some posts but I am still missing a whole other lot I decided to send something to see if I am still on.
Since I am here, I might as well post something so here are some press clipping as with now the new year celebration and time-offs are over, Ozumo is getting back to theirregular business.

Firstoff, some unease and a potential serious issue at Miyagino Beya at their keiko onJan 4.  Fist fight started betweenMakuuchi Ishiura and Makushita Hokaho after Ishiura pinned donw Hokaho.Miyagino oyakata scolded them to stop but after another session when Ishiurawas pushed out by Hokaho, Ishiura started pummeling Hokaho with his fists.

The uglyfist fight was eventually stopped by Hakuho but this incident underscores somediscord within Miyagino Beya as well as the oyakata not being able to control his deshi and show hisdiscipline and leadership within the heya.

With manymedia types present, the oyakata needed to report the incident to the Kyokaihead office saying, "after all there was violence".   As of now the Kyokai has not announced anydisciplinary action to Ishiura or Hokaho however they have been focusing more onviolence issues last few years so obviously they are more sensitive to anyreporting of violence.

Of courseIshiura has not been a popular figure among some sumo fans in Japan ever sincehe has been perceived as a rikshi who was closely involved in Harumafujiincident which eventually resulted in Harumafuji's abrupt forced departure fromOzumo.

MeanwhileHakuho gave a brief interview after completing his warmup stretches and shikoon his first day back after spending timeoff in Australia with his family.  "I will be 35 in March but I feel youngphysically. Like I stopped aging after 31 or 32. We will have the TokyoOlympics to look forward to.  Will try togradually get back in the best shape," Hakuho said.  He again stressed he would be the"wall" for up and coming rikishi as well as showing his eagerness toface the next generation of rookies notably, Asashoryu's nephew Hoshoryu(Tatsunami Beya), former Yokozuna Kotozakura's grandson Koyonowaka (SadogatakeBeya) and another grandson of former Yokozuna Taiho, Naya.

Anotherpress clipping has new Sekiwake and next Ozeki hope Asanoyama showed he stillhad a lot to do for his preparation after doing Sanbangeiko with Araiso oyakatanow retired Yokozuna Kisenosato. Kisenosato thoroughly dominated Asanoyama by beating him 15 trainingbouts out of 16 training sessions.

"Whatcan I say?  I've lost some before when Ilet the right in but I rarely lost when I did not let the right in.  This just made me realize that I still have alot of weak areas," Asanoyama said after his session.  "I will come back again strong.  I will try go to get the double digit winsand to show my appreciation of giving me the experience."
Jonosuke