[sumo] 2018

Robert Brown brownro214 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 19:31:30 EST 2018

List members,

Not sure when I joined the list, but the oldest email I have archived is
from July 31st, 1999, coincidentally the day I retired from the US Army.
Too bad we no longer have Moti, Kintaro and some of the other regulars.  A
couple of incidents including the "flame wars" Hal mentioned have reduced
our numbers, however I still find the list to most convenient way to keep
up with Sumo happenings.  Thanks to those who post frequently (Jeff and
Kobayashi).

A shout out to Emmitt Wayne, the only list member I have met personally,
strangely enough in Seoul, Korea.

Bob "Kodaiyama" Brown
San Antonio, TX

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#m_-8896687005057342579_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 10:26 AM, Hal Shaver <hal6671 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm still here but rarely have any new items to share so mostly, like
> this, respond to the initial postings of others.  Don't exactly remember
> when I joined but I believe it was slightly after Kintamayama left because
> of excessive flame wars as there was a lot of talk about it at the time.  I
> also believe the drop occurring after 2011 was primarily caused by the
> disillusionment many followers felt after their bubbles were burst by the
> confirmation of the existence of yaocho.  Frankly I believe most "yaocho"
> was simply the hiramaku version of the former Ozeki Backscratchers Club
> that was going on in the latter days of Kaio and Chiyotaikai.  But I
> digress, I do believe this list has a good purpose and will be here for
> many more years to come.
>
> Hal "Chisaiyama" Shaver
>
> On 1/2/2018 1:03:39 AM, "Emmett Wayne" <eswayne2009 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Jeff,
>> I am still here.
>> How are you doing?  Getting any better?
>> Emmett (Torideyama)
>>    On Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 6:57:33 AM GMT+9, Jeffrey Anderson <
>> jeffand at regent.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, that’s 3. 😂. I’m sure there are still loads here in this growing
>> world of sumo. Moti (Kintamayama) shared with me last week that he has over
>> 600 on his sumo news email. And to think that I introduced him to the
>> listserve from the - ugh - old rec.sport.sumo newsgroup. It actually still
>> exists! It’s a Google group now. Was anyone here ever on it before the
>> listserve was started? And has anybody ever posted to the listserve from
>> the emergency room - other than myself??? 😂
>>
>> Gaijingai
>>
>> Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
>>
>> I've been here since the early days.
>> 明けましておめでとう
>> Hao'li Makahiki hou!
>>
>> Ed
>>

>> __________/)______/)_______________
>> Ed Romson
>> Mobile +1.650.743.4713
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 11:20 AM, Jeffrey Anderson <jeffand at regent.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Interesting. Thank you for the information, Werner. I loved the old days
>>> before the sumofoum started and siphoned away a lot of our traffic.
>>> However, personally I still enjoy the immediacy of the listserve and the
>>> fact that I don’t have to log in to anything to respond. Those 1990’s
>>> were
>>> like the Wild West in the infancy of digital communication. I sure miss
>>> the
>>> many humorous posts Kintaro would make!
>>>
>>> I wonder how many are still silently on this listserve? Ok everyone,
>>> raise
>>> your hand high so I can count. 😂
>>>
>>> Gaijingai
>>>
>>> Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
>>>

>>> Just finished filing the mails from 2017 in my laptop to a separate
>>> folder. The numbers are still rising. Good thing, after a rather hard
> [...]
>>> 2009  1341
>>> 2010  1752
>>> 2011  1866
>>> 2012  1262