[sumo] Henka

Harold Shaver hal6671 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 11:10:23 EDT 2016

<rant> Agreed, there in Japan there are degrees to everything and the
dreaded "henka" is no exception. Even Yokozunas are not immune. I have  seen
Asashoryu, Harumafuji and even the vaunted Hakuho apply this technique,
albeit rarely. For the most part done at the level it is a subtle thing
almost a "was that a henka or not". But in the case of Aminishiki it is
never subtle and likewise in the case of Goeido it is never subtle. And in
the two previous bouts this basho he did absolutely seem proud of what he
had just done and that sort of action is what truly angers me about henka at
the Sanyaku level. It is one thing in the waning days of a basho with kachi
koshi on the line and desperation setting in but quite another to just admit
that as an Ozeki you cannot save your rank while kadoban without resorting
to this technique not once but three times in one basho.

One possibility would be to all additional lines to each end of the shikiri
sen at say 45 degree angling toward the east and west sides and if a rikishi
mad a move that put him at or past those lines at the tachi ai it would be
an illegal inashi or a henka and they would forfeit.

On the other hand, one could argue that for wrestlers to be employing the
henka they haven't received the proper instruction from their Oyakata during
their careers. And as well, it could be argued that if you have managed to
last long enough in Ozumo to achieve Sanyaku rank you should have developed
a knowledge base of your opponents and be expecting certain rikishi to
literally do anything at the tachi ai and act against them accordingly. I
have seen many henkas fail to achieve their objective because the attacking
rikishi was aware of all the possibilities and persevered.

In any case it is a moot point because the move, which is not a recognized
winning technique after all, cannot be banned as such. No one ever has henka
listed as their win, it usually ends up as hatakikomi or some such.

</rant>

Hal "Chisaiyama" Shaver