[sumo] Akebono's Kid

JZ8D-SMMN at asahi-net.or.jp JZ8D-SMMN at asahi-net.or.jp
Wed Feb 5 21:33:52 EST 2014

Thanks for this, Jeff, It's really nice to see how the family is doing. I interviewed him when he was only a sekiwake (IIRC).
they'd just got back from the London Koen, and a Japanese educational magazine asked me to
do an interview which would be bilingual in print. As he was obviously headed for the top, I was bending over backwards
to avoid asking the sort of questions that might provoke a reply that wouldn't go down well with
the kind of Japanese person who didn't want to contemplate a foreign yokozuna (and there were
plenty of them around at that time). I guess it would have been a much more 'interesting' article
if I had provoked him, but I liked what I saw and was rooting for him.

Doreen Simmons down memory lane