[sumo] Ryogoku station renovation ceremony Sunday April 14, 2013

Doreen Simmons simmons at fpcjpn.or.jp
Mon Apr 15 04:00:10 EDT 2013

Thanks for the report, Patricia. The newsstand was the first thing to go,
at least two months ago -- just before work started on the ground-floor
accessible toilet that just opened. I too am sorry that the dohyo markings
on the floor have gone. That used to be one of my favorite things to show
visitors. I haven't had chance to check out the rows of tegata yet -- I
assumed that's what those long metal sheets under the two yusho-gaku
contain. (I was away on a choir retreat in the mountains of Nagano so I'm
still more or less floating through the station...)

The platform itself could certainly do with repaving, and at the place
I wait for the train there wasn't anything in the way of new notices. The
old seats were there as usual, but I didn't check further down.

What I still don't get is: who was putting on the opening? Just JR
improving one of its stations, or in cooperation with the Edo Tokyo Museum
just behind the station, maybe plus the Sumo Association?

Doreen Simmons