[sumo] Sumo documentary

Barbara Ann Klein baklein at attglobal.net
Tue Jan 11 22:13:42 EST 2011

I don't recall reading about this anywhere yet, but I came across this
online while looking a friend's profile : http://tiny.cc/n5o10  It seems
like the documentary is  really good, but unfortunately, this is only a clip
 It's a true story about a boy whose father sends him away from home in
Hokkaido to become a sumo wrestler in Oshima beya. If you click on the blue
button that says "Video" you can watch a 10 minute clip. (Don't be fooled by
the photo of the rikishi on the web page. That's not the subject young man.
It's in Japanese with English subtitles. You can see Oshima Oyakata and get
glimpses of Kyokutenho and Kyokushuho.

If anyone knows if this is or will be available for purchase in the future,
please share the info. In the meantime, I have written to one of the
principals of the film company asking for more information about a possible
public release.

The 2009 film  has already received some acclaim:

 A Normal Life. Chronicle of a Sumo Wrestler: 3 awards for Jill Coulon's
documentary:
- the Special Jury Mention at the Flahertiana International Documentary Film
Festival in Perm, Russia.
- Mejor Ópera Prima à MiradosDocs 2010
- Special Jury Award - Festival du film d'Education d'Evreux

Enjoy the clip.

Barbara