[sumo] OT cell phones in high school

Kuramarujo klemmerj at webtrek.com
Mon Feb 28 19:19:50 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-28 at 18:41 -0500, jdouglas at nyc.rr.com wrote:

> Cell phone use has become so irritating to me.  Why an 8th grader, or
> anyone in school should need immediate access to cell phones has me
> baffled.  Emergency calls?  Mom is calling telling him the house is on
> fire.  Hurry home with water buckets.  Cell phones will be the demise
> of civilization as we know it.  If it does cause brain tumors maybe it
> is a natural selection process in operation. ( I think that theory has
> been disproved.)  Since this is so way off topic I apologize in
> advance and  I am going to look for an I hate cell phones forum
> somewhere.  Back to sumo.  Oh I forgot.  There is none right now.

The attitude towards minors having cell phones changed after 9/11.  I
remember that there was this congresswoman who had sponsored a bill to
outlaw cell phones for minors.  But when she couldn't contact her kids
on that day she withdrew the bill and bought all her kids cell phones.

Ko-k-jo has had a cell since he was eight.  It's nice to know that, not
only can I contact him relatively instantly, I can track him with the
GPS feature.

--
Joe "Kuramarujo" Klemmer
Sakura Ichimon | http://www.sakura-ichimon.co.cc