[sumo] This whole thing confuses me

Harold Shaver hal6671 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 16:06:53 EST 2011

I'm not sure what the "official" definition would be but my gut feeling is
that if, in the situation you outlined, it was a personal gift of a match to
the other guy that it would not be yaocho.  I think that there has to have
been an agreement amongst the 2 rikishi for it to be considered yaocho.  If
for instance rikishi A & B, both friends off the dohyo were meeting on day
15 with rikishi A going into the match 8-7 and rikishi B at 7-7 and if A
just kind of laid back a bit and let B win to get that all important KK then
while it would not be "good" sumo it wouldn't be Yaocho.  However if B had
asked A to do that, even if no money or goods changed hands it would be.

Just my 2¥ worth.
Hal "Chisaiyama" Shaver