[sumo] Re: Bitter and Twisted People

Greg Lund jac at zat.att.ne.jp
Sun Feb 13 08:24:55 EST 2011

Yes, and you sound like an arsehole.

As a matter of fact, I have made my bookings in advance and eaten at two
restaurants in Tokyo with one Michelin star each, and both were
excellent. And from what I know of the way Michelin judges restaurants
in the real world (as opposed to the rose colored glasses view of Japan
so prevalent on this list - I assume you don't live in Japan, but if you
do, then the old "there is none so blind . . . " adage probably
applies). I stand by what I said. Michelin (in the real world) demands a
standard of ambience, decor, linen, silverware, etc., etc., that simply
was not evident in my friend Ando san's establishment. I am sure it is a
very good restaurant, and I would expect nothing less of him. My
quibble, and that of anyone who has eaten at Michelin establishments in
several countries, is that one star is the normal starting point, and
winning your spurs beyond that comes with long - often VERY long - years
of dedication to excellence that is re-assessed regularly by Michelin
and additional stars awarded extremely sparingly. Foodies the world over
are raising eyebrows and laughing like drains at the sudden spate of
spurious awards in Japan. I don't suppose money could have changed
hands. Perish the thought. There is no such thing as yaocho either, is
there?

As this was only a side comment on another topic, I do not intend to
respond to anything further on this issue.

Cheers
Greg