[sumo] [sumo games] TORCHBEARER 2010: results!

kj bauman shimodahito at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 00:47:15 EST 2010

good day all,
What a crazy finish as the TORCH ended up in the playoff matches, and Konrad made the most of it as his rikishi pick won the yusho and holds the final TORCH position.  2008 co-champs Terarno and Jejima were pointless, but 2009 champ, Profomisakari, was in the running since the start of Aki basho.

Here's the path of the TORCH during Kyushu.

KYUSHU BANZUKE TORCH POSITION: MAKUSHITA 3 WEST TOKUSHINHO
KYUSHU DAY 1: The TORCH is passed to MAKUSHITA 4 EAST YOSHIAZUMA (charliki & Ganzohnesushi - 1 point each)
KYUSHU DAY 3: Ms4E YOSHIAZUMA defeats MAKUSHITA 2 WEST IKIOI
KYUSHU DAY 6: Ms4E YOSHIAZUMA defeats MAKUSHITA 4 WEST NIONOUMI
KYUSHU DAY 8: Ms4E YOSHIAZUMA defeats MAKUSHITA 9 EAST ARAWASHI
KYUSHU DAY 9: Ms4E YOSHIAZUMA defeats MAKUSHITA 11 EAST MINAMI
KYUSHU DAY 11: The TORCH is passed to MAKUSHITA 32 WEST TOCHITSUBASA
KYUSHU DAY 13: The TORCH is passed to MAKUSHITA 11 EAST MINAMI (6-1)
KYUSHU KETTEI-SEN: The TORCH is passed to MAKUSHITA 58 EAST MYOGIRYU (Konrad – 3 points)
KYUSHU KETTEI-SEN: Ms58e MYOGIRYU defeats MAKUSHITA 21 WEST NAOE (Konrad – 3 points)
KYUSHU KETTEI-SEN: Ms58e MYOGIRYU defeats MAKUSHITA 32 WEST TOCHITSUBASA (Konrad – 3 points)

FINAL TORCH POSITION: MAKUSHITA 58 EAST & MYOGIRYU

Our tally of points picked up during the TORCH’S journey in 2010.

16 points - Gusoyama
14 points - Wildcard
13 points - Profomisakari
9 points – Konrad
7 points - Ganzohnesushi
6 point - Pandaazuma
5 points - crall
5 points - Holleshoryu
4 points - Daughter of Sukubidubidu
4 point - Furanohana
4 points - nomadwolf
4 points - Oshirokita
4 point - Vikanohara
4 points - yorikiried by fate
1 point - charliki
1 point - Devlyn
1 point - Jason
1 point - Kameumi
1 point - shimodahito
1 point - Sukiaki

And now to add the final bonus points.

FINAL TORCH RANK: MAKUSHITA 58 EAST (no bonus points – a first for TORCHBEARER)
Last year eleven players collected bonus points and three of them hit the bullseye -- this year, none.

RANK.....................BONUS.....PLAYER’S PICK
........................POINTS..................
Makushita 53 East.........1
Makushita 53 West.........2
Makushita 54 East.........3
Makushita 54 West.........4
Makushita 55 East.........5
Makushita 55 West.........6
Makushita 56 East.........7
Makushita 56 West.........8
Makushita 57 East.........9
Makushita 57 West.........10
MAKUSHITA 58 EAST.........25
Makushita 58 West.........10
Makushita 59 East.........9
Makushita 59 West.........8
Makushita 60 East.........7
Makushita 60 West.........6
Sandanme 1 East...........5
Sandanme 1 West...........4
Sandanme 2 East...........3
Sandanme 2 West...........2
Sandanme 3 East...........1

FINAL TORCH RIKISHI: MYOGIRYU (Konrad hits the bullseye!)
Last year eight players collected bonus points; this year only two.

RIKISHI............BONUS.....PLAYER’S PICK
...................POINTS..................
Wakaryusei...........1
Kairyu...............2
Chiyomaru............3
Amatsu...............4
Takakiho.............5
Torugawa.............6
Musashiumi...........7
Kakureizan...........8
Tokio................9
Yamatofuji...........10
MYOGIRYU.............25......Konrad
Shirononami..........10......crall
Migikataagari........9
Ryuonami.............8
Tochinoyama..........7
Sasakiyama...........6
Dewahayate...........5
Wakamifuji...........4
Teruazuma............3
Karatsuumi...........2
Tokizakura...........1

With bonus points added, our final tally sheet:

34 points – Konrad
16 points – Gusoyama
15 points – crall
14 points – Wildcard
13 points – Profomisakari
7 points – Ganzohnesushi
6 point – Pandaazuma
5 points – Holleshoryu
4 points - Daughter of Sukubidubidu
4 point – Furanohana
4 points – nomadwolf
4 points – Oshirokita
4 point – Vikanohara
4 points - yorikiried by fate
1 point – charliki
1 point – Devlyn
1 point – Jason
1 point – Kameumi
1 point – shimodahito
1 point – Sukiaki

Congratulations to Konrad for an outstanding win, earning 34 points and making the most of a single day’s work.  I will be contacting you for your address so I can send your prize.  For the second year in a row, landing on the bullseye proved to be the deciding factor.  Last year's winner, Profomisakari still holds the record of 59 points.

- Kudos also go to Holleshoryu, Pandaazuma, and Ganzohnesushi for getting points with both rikishi and rank picks.
- And congrats to Gusoyama, the runner up with a gutsy Jonokuchi rikishi pick.
- An additional toast to crall who was so close!
- 65% of participants had points this year.

Thanks for participating and I hope you all can put a pick in for next year. You can send your TORCHBEARER 2011 picks to me now, or wait until the Hatsu banzuke is released when I send out the invite.  The TORCH starts at the bottom of the Hatsu banzuke.  Pick one rank and one rikishi where you think it will be at the end of the year.
Again, thanks.

-shimodahito