[sumo] More On Asashoryu Incident

Scott M. Kahn smk1 at columbia.edu
Fri Jan 29 15:14:59 EST 2010

We've discussed the xenophobic tendencies of the Kyokai here ad
naseum, especially as it pertains to Asa.

Remember, Asa has made it clear his post-sumo future extends beyond
sumo.  His heart belongs to Mongolia.  On the other hand, Hakuho is
married to a Japanese woman, and will probably remain in the Kyokai.
So, Asa has no future career with the Kyokai as he will not become a
Japanese citizen, whereas Hakuho probably will so that he can continue
post retirement within the Kyokai.

I personally think Takamisakari's antics are way more mocking of sumo
than any of Asa's, yet he is celebrated.  Intimidation is a "right"
for Yokozuna- other Yokozuna in the past developed their own
intimidating styles, and Hakuho has been known to give an extra push
or two, along with his seemingly never-ending stare downs.

(If you noticed, Asa offered a hand when Hakuho catapulted out of the
ring vs. Kaio this past tournament)

Sukubidubidu