[sumo] NY Times article

Lon Howard itsulon at wavecable.com
Thu Jan 21 22:36:38 EST 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 4:12 PM, Jezz wrote:

> It was refreshing to read the views of a visitor, however it is a
> little disappointing when a quality paper makes silly errors like the
> shinitai.  Sumo is not that obsucre a sport - surely they could have
> found someone in their Tokyo offices - or back in the States - who
> knows enough about the sport to give it a quick read-through to look
> for these errors?

Alas, after following sumo as a foreigner for 45 years, and mostly
living among them outside Japan for most of those years.  I must
conclude that sumo is indeed an obscure sport to almost everyone who
has never lived in Japan.  I have found it most difficult to engage
foreigners in conversation about sumo.  Americans in particular are
not very curious about the rest of the world, although they love to
tell colorful "sea stories" about their overseas exploits; so I am not
surprised at all that a NY newspaper would deem it more important to
embellish and to even engage in cultural titillation than to be
accurate.  This kind of piece is a "get it down, dress it up and get
it to me tonight" thing.

I would also be inclined to call the errors in this article silly, but
that implies that they actually cared about being factual, so silly
isn't the word I would apply to them.

Although I subscribe to a Google service that emails me articles
containing the word 'sumo,' I almost never click on them anymore
because I know they're probably going to be similar to this one.

More and more the cynic, I am...

Shomishuu