[sumo] Re: [sumo) a dark story in sumo

Scott M. Kahn smk1 at columbia.edu
Sun Feb 7 13:16:14 EST 2010

I appreciate what you state below, and agree with you on differences
between oyakata and active rikishi.

However, my point, which by now everyone is tired of hearing, is that
if Asa was ultimately thrown out for not displaying hinkaku, there
were past cases of Yokozuna that were equal or worse, and condoned.  I
believe the Kyokai would not have wanted steroid testing during Taka's
days becasue he was their cash cow (or PED goliath), even though
toward his final days on the dohyo steroid abuse was becoming an issue
(at least here in the USA). In much the same way MLB condoned steroid
use because home runs were bringing fans back to baseball after the
labor stoppage.

I consider Taka to have been a cheater during his dohyo days, just
like the steroid abusers in MLB.  And I believe, given the Asa-rules,
such a cheater should not have a top position within the Kyokai, until
he makes amends.

Sukubidubidu