[sumo] Another one & nothing new

Lynn Matsuoka artist at aloha.net
Sat Jan 31 13:54:15 EST 2009

What no one says is that this stuff is all over the place- my friends say
you can smell it sometimes just walking down the street, and the only
crime is getting caught. Maybe banning the bagged ones will scare some of
the other 'users' but not all of them. And what about the guys on the big
S? THAT has been around forever. You can SEE the effects of that stuff on
some of the marshmallow-boys. But there is no law against that! And NO one
cares in Japan if you get brain cancer at 42 and die.... I have been
really worried about some of our past ( not passed, yet) heros.

Hypocrisy just bothers me, and I am getting angry. This is smoke and
mirrors, as it has been for a very long time. Distract everyone with the
small stuff so no one notices the 800 pound gorilla( or Puffed rikishi) in
the room. Either do a complete drug ban and make it an even playing field
or leave them the *#@*  alone.

Personally, I have  never been interested in this stuff- I believe in
being yourself, whomever that is. And as a purist, I want Sumo to be what
it is supposed to be- One of the few real sports and real traditions left.

Lynn Matsuoka
the Sumo artist
www.traditions.jp

> So, when does Musashigawa resign to take responsibility for the
> kyokai covering up for law-breaking nihonjin while giving
> law-breaking gaijin the boot? This is at least "strike four" and the
> penalties should be more severe - banning the rikishi and the oyakata
> resigning just won't do it.
>
> jeanne
>
> At 04:47 PM 1/30/09, Sumocypher at aol.com wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  >_http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090130/BREAKING02/90130011/-1/RSS
>  >01?source=rss_breaking_
>  >(http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090130/BREAKING02/9013001
>  >1/-1/RSS01?source=rss_breaking)
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >January 30, 2009
>  >
>  >Sumo: Wrestler arrested for  marijuana possession
>  >
>  >Associated Press
>  >TOKYO — A Japanese sumo wrestler was arrested for possession of
> mariijuana on
>  >Friday, becoming the fourth wrestler in Japan's ancient sport to become
>  >involved  in a widening drug scandal.
>  >The wrestler, known by his ring name Wakakirin, was arrested for
> violating
>  >Japan's Cannabis Control Law, a spokesman at the Kanagawa police
> department
>  >confirmed Friday.
>  >
>  >Police arrested Wakakirin and a friend after finding 16  grams of
> cannabis in
>  >an office they were in.
>  >
>  >Possession of marijuana in  Japan is punishable by up to five years
> in prison.
>  >
>  >The 25-year-old  Wakakirin, whose real name is Shinichi Suzukawa, is the
>  >first Japanese wrestler  to be arrested for possession of marijuana.
>  >
>  >Last year, Russian sumo  wrestlers Roho and Hakurozan tested positive
> for
>  >marijuana use after Wakanoho,  also Russian, was banned for life by
> the Japan
>  >Sumo Association after he was  arrested by police for marijuana
> possession.
>  >
>  >All three were expelled from  the sport, and the scandal prompted the
>  >resignation of the head of the sumo  association.
>  >**************From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in
> between, stay
>  >up-to-date with the latest news.
> (http://aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000023)
>  >_______________________________________________
>  >Sumo mailing list
>  >Sumo at webtrek.com

CNN reported on the artist: “Few artists so completely dominate their
field that their name becomes synonymous with the subject matter, but Lynn
Matsuoka has succeeded in capturing the essence of Sumo and has won a
loyal following along the way”

Her artwork is in corporate and private collections around the world, in
the Morikami Museum collection, and was recently requested by the National
Sumo Museum in Tokyo .

Thank you for visiting our installation at the Hampton Classic this summer!

Web  sites :   http:// www.traditions.jp & www.hamptonsartist.com
Tel USA 808-479-5966   / NY studio 631-537-5237