[sumo] Another one - this time Japanese (aside)

Carl Freire cfreire at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 31 01:02:42 EST 2009

At 2:09 PM +0900 1/31/09, Mike Charlton wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Scott M. Kahn <smk1 at columbia.edu> wrote:
>  > Perhaps someone can translate this article which seems to hint at a
>  > prior borderline test result at the same time the Russian brothers
>  > were expelled-
>  >
>  > http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/090130/spf0901301753006-n1.htm
>
>I'll do my best.  My Japanese isn't that good, so take the following with
>a grain of salt.  This is the first newspaper article I've tried to translate.
>So please be kind to me :-) (hope I don't make any horrible mistakes...)
>I have probably got the reading of the names wrong :-(...

That's a pretty good translation.  I haven't double checked the names
(unless somone wants to pay me to do so ;-)  My one word of advice
would be to feel free to be a little more liberal in rearranging the
Japanese so the English flows more smoothly naturally.  Instead of .
. .

>With respect to the problem of marijauna circulating amongst rikishi,
>he is the first Japanese to have been arrested.  It brings up the question
>of whether cannabis use is spreading to the Japanese rikishi, something
>that strictly questions the sumo world's struggle for revival.

You could have something like:

This incident marks the first arrest of a Japanese rikishi in the
marijuana scandal roiling the sumo world.  The suspicion that
marijuana use may also be spreading among Japanese wrestlers raises
tough questions about the efforts the sport is making to regain its
footing.

Just a little unsolicited advice.  Pretty good job, though, for a
first effort.  Ganbatte!

Cheers,
Carl