[sumo]Shikona/Wajima?

Chisaiyama hal6671 at aim.com
Fri Jan 16 23:11:40 EST 2009

=>Reference is made to Wajima in a section of Mark
=>West's book, Law in
=>Everyday
=>Japan<http://books.google.com/books?id=eiTD7_2ELecC&pg
=>=PA84&lpg=PA84&dq=wajima+sumo&source=bl&ots=wNmqPy42Gf
=>&sig=vq4_y_34cfuDaz4_APKCq13ygFc&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_re
=>sult&resnum=6&ct=result#PPA86,M1>.
=>at pp. 83-86.  West writes that, after retirement,
=>Wajima posted his 'elder
=>share' annuity as collateral for a loan, which
=>violated kyokai rules.
=>Mention is also made of ties to yakuza.
=>
=>The same story is told, more sympathetically, by
=>Michael Shapiro, in a 1988
=>Sports Illustrated story, "Down From Sumo's
=>Summit<http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ar
=>ticle/magazine/MAG1127094/index.htm>,"
=>describing
=>Wajima's post-retirement pro wrestling adventure.
=>
=>There's got to be more, though, judging by today's
=>posts  And by his old
=>nickname, Emperor of the Night.
=>
[Chisaiyama says:] Thanks for the links and the
additional information some of it I knew a lot I didn't.
I agree from the tone of Lynn's post there must have
been a lot more.

I knew from reports at the time that he was a first
class playboy in his younger pre-Yokozuna days and it
doesn't surprise me, especially in a dual-standard
society such as Japan that it would continue even after
marriage.

Hal "Chisaiyama" Shaver