[sumo]Shikona/Wajima?

Charles Finberg cfinberg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 22:03:39 EST 2009

Reference is made to Wajima in a section of Mark West's book, Law in
Everyday Japan<http://books.google.com/books?id=eiTD7_2ELecC&pg=PA84&lpg=PA84&dq=wajima+sumo&source=bl&ots=wNmqPy42Gf&sig=vq4_y_34cfuDaz4_APKCq13ygFc&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result#PPA86,M1>.
at pp. 83-86.  West writes that, after retirement, Wajima posted his 'elder
share' annuity as collateral for a loan, which violated kyokai rules.
Mention is also made of ties to yakuza.

The same story is told, more sympathetically, by Michael Shapiro, in a 1988
Sports Illustrated story, "Down From Sumo's
Summit<http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1127094/index.htm>,"
describing
Wajima's post-retirement pro wrestling adventure.

There's got to be more, though, judging by today's posts  And by his old
nickname, Emperor of the Night.