[sumo]Shikona/Wajima?

Lynn Matsuoka artist at aloha.net
Fri Jan 16 16:55:53 EST 2009

As to Shikona changes, The rikishi I have known over the years have always
told me that one changes the name when he ascends to the next degree, with
the belief that it will support the upward move. One Sekitori friend, if I
am remembering correctly( Doreen will let us know if I am mistaken)  the
dearly missed Iwashita zeki, changed his name to TeruNOyama ( There was a
Teruyama at that time in Kasugano beya) and soon after returned to his
original name, saying it did not help him at all and he felt better about
his original name. Personally I agree with Doreen. Call yourself anything
you want- the fire must come from within. But then, we all have our
personal
sources of inspiration.

Re... and I hesitate to even type the name... Waj...
 I could write a book on THAT one alone. Like his jumping on the back of
my BMW motorcycle in Osaka and demanding that I drive him to Kyoto, while
his suited sponsors, standing beside their sleek black limo, stood there
aghast... That is a large part of one chapter in my book ( in process).
The story has more to do with the protocol than anything else. Oh- he
pulled some nasty stuff on me when I was very young and had more respect
for him than he deserved. Don't get me started....

I have a small collection of beautiful drawings and paintings of him when
he was grand champion,and I was asked  by the Sumo Association, after Waj
was thrown out of sumo for good reasons, to not publicly show any artwork
depicting him any more. I have obeyed that request/command till now.
However, as much as I am bewildered by this turnaround, I guess I can now
dust off this collection, dating back to the 70's.

I am not in Japan now, ad would really appreciate it if someone could let
me know how I can see/ hear this Sunday's matches, to check out this rogue
announcer.
By the way does everyone out there KNOW all the horrendous things he did,
and caused to happen?

Lynn Matsuoka
Sumo artist and Commentator
Lectures and Exhibitions on the subject of Sumo
www.traditions.jp
www.hamptonsartist.com

> You just lose the rhythm -- and things go bad on you until you swing
> back. Nothing to do with names or colors. Just your belief in yourself
> (though I have on occasion used a bit of mumbo-jumbo that turned the
> tide -- and afterwards said, "No, it was all happening inside you. You
> were the one that did it."). Not at this level, but it's a good story
> that I may tell in full some time.
>
> Doreen @ anytime now I'm going to go mad and relax -- I hope to be at
> sumo just about all day tomorrow.
>
> BTW, if you depend on the NHK broadcasts, watch out for Sunday, when
> the main commentator on the Japanese side will be old, old bad boy
> Wajima (apparently forgiven) with Demon Kogure as his sidekick -- thank
> heaven he'll be operating in Japanese this time so there will be some
> chance of understanding him. It appears that I am the only person in
> Japan who owns to having a group picture that includes Demon without
> his makeup, a fresh-faced Waseda student about a year before his band
> really took off. No, I am not on the market. I respect his privacy. ;-}
>
> On 2009/01/15r, at 1:23, jdemund at aol.com wrote:
>
>> Thank you - that clears it up and I, for one, now understand the
>> change.
>> Changing his mawashi color did not help - One wonders what has
>> happened to him.
>
> Doreen Simmons
>   jz8d-smmn at asahi-net.or.jp

CNN reported on the artist: “Few artists so completely dominate their
field that their name becomes synonymous with the subject matter, but Lynn
Matsuoka has succeeded in capturing the essence of Sumo and has won a
loyal following along the way”

Her artwork is in corporate and private collections around the world, in
the Morikami Museum collection, and was recently requested by the National
Sumo Museum in Tokyo .

Thank you for visiting our installation at the Hampton Classic this summer!

Web  sites :   http:// www.traditions.jp & www.hamptonsartist.com
Tel USA 808-479-5966   / NY studio 631-537-5237