[sumo] Mongolian festival this weekend

Doreen Simmons jz8d-smmn at asahi-net.or.jp
Wed Apr 29 05:44:04 EDT 2009

I'd like to inform people in the Tokyo area that the annual Mongolian
students' Spring festival (Havriin Bayar, in one of its spellings) will
be taking place this coming Sunday and Monday in Hikarigaoka Park.
Sunday May 3 noon to five and Monday May 4, ten till four. A stage
featuring Mongolian music and dance, various tents (ger) featuring
Mongolian calligraphy and other cultural aspects, information stalls
with travel details, CDs and packs of rock salt, and food stalls
selling Mongolian food -- personally I always go for the meat
dumplings. Pretty well all the Mongolian rikishi will be there
(naturally!), with the yokozuna taking a day each. There is usually a
demonstration of Mongolian wrestling, and if I recall correctly, some
sumo as well. It's not always completely the same every year.

If you want to go and don't know how to get to Hikarigaoka, Google it
-- or use Hyperdia.

Doreen Simmons
  jz8d-smmn at asahi-net.or.jp