[sumo] Gyoji promotions

Doreen Simmons jz8d-smmn at asahi-net.or.jp
Wed Oct 1 09:53:39 EDT 2008

No surprises.  They were simply next in line. The early announcement is
to allow them to order silk brocade costumes from Kyoto, especially in
the case of K. Seiji, the man going up from Makushita-kaku to
Juryo-kaku. He will need at least two to start with, as up to now he
has been wearing cotton outfits tied below the knees, calves bare, and
barefoot. From now he will be in full-length silk and in tabi, the
white split-toed cotton socks. His is one of the voices you hear
announcing the bouts and the result of each bout.

I never do anything until they actually assume the new rank in January,
when I move their pictures in my rather primitive photo list up to the
next level and add the date in the margin. I also try to make a point
of congratulating them.

On 2008/10/01, at 8:04, MBtatton at aol.com wrote:

> small comments on gyoji promotions - linked to Sumo Forum.
>
> Not a Japanese speaker or even person based in Japan, and so probably
> picked
> up from the Japanese online media, so may have a glitch or two -
> apologies if
> so but no time to check myself (and not that up to date with the gyojis
> myself) - but probably close on correct.
>
> Doreen may know more as this is her area of expertise. Anything on
> these guys
> Doreen?

Doreen Simmons
  jz8d-smmn at asahi-net.or.jp