[sumo] [spoiler] Rikishi Talk Basho 4 Day 12

Barbara barbara at technogirls.org
Thu Jul 24 18:22:39 EDT 2008

Rikishi Talk Nagoya Day 12 (Jonosuke)

  Masatsukasa (8-4) over Takekaze by oshidashi, 3.1 seconds
(Getting kachikoshi in his Makuuchi debut basho)
"Actually I wanted to get it done a bit earlier. But it still makes me
extremely happy."

Toyohibiki (9-3) over Kimurayama by oshitaoshi, 10.8 seconds
(Unstoppable like a runaway freight train, despite having his back
turned to Kimurayama, smartly reversing and turned around to snatch the
victory)
"To be honest for a moment I thought I was done for good. But the fact I
still manage to win even encountering such a dire situation proves I
must be in a great condition."
(About wiggling himself next to Hakuho on the yusho board)
"???"
"All I am doing right now is doing my best to prepare myself for the
next basho."

Tochinonada (5-7) over Homasho by yorikiri, 8.7 seconds
(After circling around the entire dohyo, exhausted and was pushed out by
Homasho...so everyone including the gyoji thought. But saved by a
mono-ii as Homasho's foot was found to be out of the dohyo before
Tochinonanda stepped out)
"Actually I saw his foot going out. Once we got into the mono-ii, I
figured I won it."
"Running around the whole dohyo once was tough. I couldn't have possibly
done another one for sure..."

Toyonoshima (8-4) over Wakanoho by sotogake, 5.0 seconds
(Calmly setting aside Wakanoho and getting kachikoshi as a komusubi)
"I never faced him at all. Shogiku (Kotoshogiku) advised me it's better
to go after him not thinking of anything else. So that's exactly what I
did."
"I am so exceptionally happy. I am aiming for a higher rank. To get to
the next step up, I want to keep winning more. I hope to have my name
mentioned as a possible ozeki candidate next basho.""

Ama (8-4) over Kotooshu by tottari, 2.4 seconds
(Stopping his losing streak at three)
"The next three days will be so crucial. I am going to keep winning from
now on. I am definitely going after a double digits win record this basho."

Kaio (8-4) over Wakanosato by okuridashi, 8.8 seconds
(Celebrating his 36th birthday by overpowering another equally powerful
rikishi and then placing himself as the third most Makuuchi bout winning
rikishi)
"Today I was able to move really well so I was able to go after him
right way."
"Nothing special about today. It's just like any other day. Right now I
am trying to take care of myself physically by making sure to clear well
each and every day."

Kotomitsuki (9-3) over Goeido by yorikiri, 8.6 seconds
"My mind started wandering at tachiai as a target my opponent started
looking too small. I ended up not hitting him hard at all out of
tachiai. But then I got myself in my firm migi-yotsu position. So it
went all right."
(At least preserving his three loss record and not let Hakuho get the
yusho on Day 12)
"We couldn't really allow him to get the yusho today, could we? Now I
sure want to come up and display a good sumo against him and stop that
winning streak right then."

Chiyotaikai (8-4) losing to Hakuho by yorikiri, 9.4 seconds
(Couldn't stop Hakuho's winning streak)
"I let him get the good firm step out of tachiai. He had such firm
grounding that I couldn't push him away. Simply I couldn't reverse the
flow. I couldn't do anything against him."

Hakuho (12-0) over Chiyotaikai
-------------------------------------
"He does all that pulling so I kept that in mind. I had a good balance
today."
(Despite overwhelming humidity and heat of Nagoya, keeping himself cool,
letting nothing to disturb his composure)
"Of course I am well aware that the yusho is on the line but I am going
with my own pace and I just keep going out and do my best. I just want
to show a good sumo. You just don't get too ahead of yourself. You
should be putting focus only on one bout at a time."
(On winning Zen-sho (no loss) yusho)
"Sure you think about it. It's not something you can pretend you are not
interested."
(Telling his dream to a friend living in Nagoya, possibly hoping for a
baby born in August)
"My father was a great yokozuna in Mongolian sumo. Myself I am aiming to
be a great yokozuna in Japan. But if it just didn't stop at a father and
son but can you imagine how great it will be if it can continue on for
the three generations?"

Kitanoumi oyakata, chairman of the Kyokai
(On Hakuho)
"His sumo is solid. He is steady. Well I guess it's well over 90%
certain now."

Kumagatani oyakata, Hakuho's shisho
(On Hakuho)
"He is showing self-awareness as yokozuna. Right now I can't find any
fault with him nor any request to make to him."
"If he stays within his own sumo and goes about his business as usual, I
can't see him losing at all."

Jiro (Yobidashi)
-----------------
(The west steps of the dohyo partially crumbled down for about 40 cm
during a Makushita bout today. After the Juryo dohyo-iri, yobidashi
quickly did a emergency fast aid fix but it requires more permanent
repair. It will be done prior to the start of the tomorrow's bouts.)
"I think because of all this heat with air conditioning working extra
hard, the air must got to be too dry and resulted in a condition the
dohyo would easily crumble."

Yusho Race Board
---------------------
Makuuchi:
0 loss - Hakuho
3 losses - Kotomitsuki, Toyohibiki
Juryo:
3 losses: Kitataiki, Bushyuyama, Aran, Tosayutaka
Makushita:
0 loss - Hoshikaze (Oguruma beya, from Mongolia), Yotsuguruma (Irumagawa
beya, from Iwate)
Note: Hoshikaze is at West 12 and if he wins one more, he assures
himself of Juryo promotion.
Sandanme:
0 loss - Surugatsukasa (Irumagawa beya, from Shizuoka), Fukao (Kise
beya, from Aichi - Fukao has not lost since his Jonokuchi debut,
currently on a 20 bout winning streak), Homarefuji (Isegahama beya, from
Aomori)
Jonidan:
0 loss - Yamashita (Kise beya, from Kagoshima), Kamei (Kise beya, from
Kagawa), Tokachiumi (Hakkaku beya, from Hokkaido)
Jonokuchi:
0 loss - Sasayama (Kise beya, from Aomori), Ozakiumi (Dewanoumi beya,
from Shizuoka)

Record
--------
Kaio - 747th Makuuchi win, pulling ahead of Taiho and third most in sumo
history. (First is Chiyonofuji with 807 and second is Kitanoumi with 804)

At their Directors meeting held on July 24, the Kyokai approved the
action plans compiled by their committee to prevent recurrence of death
by their rikishi. The report was requested by Ministry of Education and
Science after the death of Tokitsukaze Beya rikishi last year. Kitanoumi
oyakata, chairman of the Kyokai, and Isenoumi oyakata, chairman of the
prevention committe, are scheduled to submit the formal report to
Minister Kisaburo Tokai and Deputy Minister Matsunami on July 25,
earlier than scheduled.

Isenoumi oyakata, chairman of the prevention committee