[sumo] [spoiler] Rikishi Talk Basho 4 Day 08

Barbara barbara at technogirls.org
Mon Jul 21 16:44:17 EDT 2008

Rikishi Talk Nagoya Day 08 (Jonosuke)

  Toyohibiki (5-3) over Kyokutenho by oshitaosho, 4.5 seconds
(Not only well satisfied with his sumo but also saving a good chunk of
money by being superstitious)
"Since I started winning. I have not gone out (in evenings) from the
heya at all..."

Kokkai (3-5) over Tochinoshin by yorikiri, 36 seconds
(Beating his country man Tochinoshin by showing he is still the senior
man from Georgia Helped Tochinoshin adjust to the sumo life initially by
becoming his interpreter and a training partner)
"Obviously it isn't easy to face him but on the other hand this one got
me psyched me up as well. He had good power and strong lower half so he
is really hard to move."

Tochinoshin (5-3) losing to Kokkai
--------------------------------
"It was a pretty weird experience. But in a way I was happy as I felt I
finally arrived up here."

Tamakasuga (0-8) losing to Kakuryu by tsukidashi, 4.2 seconds
(The long losing streak continues with no end in sight but figuring no
point in getting down on himself)
"I have no worry nor uncertainty. It's just I know I have not yet
reached the sumo goal I have been aiming for."

Miyagiyama (6-2) over Takamisakari by oshidashi, 5.7 seconds
(Beating Takamisakari and picking up all that Kensho envelopes that come
with him)
"It was my best chance of earning the pocket money. Right here was a
huge event for me."

Aminishiki (3-5) losing to Kaio by yorikiri, 23.5 seconds
(Losing after hard struggles)
"I shook him around so much. I can't believe it. I guess it was a matter
of the old winning over the young. But I must admit he was moving better."

Kotoshogiku (4-4) over Wakanoho by yorikiri, 5.6 seconds
(Suffering from rather painful left knee injury himself but after seeing
his senior at the heya Kotokasuga working out after fracturing bones in
chest and lower back and prepare to re-enter the basho, got himself
extra motivated to coming back strong)
"I simply could not believe my eyes when I saw him doing training
sessions today. Then I heard he was coming back, that is truly amazing.
When you see Kasuga-zeki coming back after breaking bones like that, and
I looked at what I have, it's so minuscule, it's nothing."

Ama (7-1) over Kisenosato by yorikiri, 6.0 seconds
(Getting rather agitated after Kisenosato's elbow hit his chin but put
the energy in pulling Kisenosato in powerfully with mawashi and
preserving one loss record)
"I cannot entirely pleased with myself at the mid-turn because I dropped
one bout. But I can tell you I am really looking forward to facing the
yokozuna."

Kisenosato (2-6) losing to Ama
----------------------------
"I had a good tachiai but that was all. Everything else that followed
was all bad."
(Huge expectations prior to the basho but suffering sixth loss already)
"Hmmm...what can I say? There is nothing else to do except I need to
start all over again."

Naruto oyakata (former Yokozuna Takanosato), Kisenosato's shisho
(Sensing Kisenosato losing the hungry spirit)
"I can tell you this. Frankly and clearly he won't be able to win if he
continues with the sumo he is doing right now. He has a good height and
weight. He can learn and study about his opponents on video anytime he
wishes. He is blessed beyond his means. When one gets satisfied with his
station, perhaps he will lose the will."
"For instance this basho he was worried about the Kotooshu bout as he
got beaten by a henka last basho. But if you think about it, you should
know that an ozeki aiming for yokozuna will not come out doing a henka
two basho in a row. If you can't even figure out something as simple as
that, I must say you are plainly hopeless."

Takanohana oyakata (who has been always high on Kisenosato's potentials
and remains as one of his favorite rikishi)
(On Kisenosato)
"He appears to be not as vibrant now. When you are faced with trials and
tribulations, it's no one else but yourself who must overcome them."

Kotomitsuki (7-1) over Wakanosato by hikiotoshi, 29.1 seconds
(Despite putting himself in a grave disadvantage of hidari-yotsu but
endured while receiving huge support again from locals fans)
"If it was my right half, I could have stayed in safely no problem but
in that position I was really hopeless.I kept thinking to myself when he
would start throwing me out. I was losing 99% back then."
(Desperately hanging on and even started squashing Wakanosato's face
with his right hand)
"I had no doubt if I was in a losing streak, then I'd have given up long
ago. But you know when you are getting this much cheers you really
cannot display a horrible sumo either. When you think about it now
calmly, I could laugh about it but it was a life and death struggle for
me on the dohyo then."
"But you better believe this win is incredibly huge."

Hakuho (8-0) over Toyonoshima by yoritaoshi, 7.4 seconds
"I am moving naturally, just the way I want to."
(No problem setting aside pesky Toyonoshima and asked about Zen-sho yusho)
"Well if you can excuse me saying so, it's natural that I have to aim
for it, right."
(It's been reported he and his wife will have another child in August.)

Kumagatani oyakata, Heya oyakata
---------------------------------
(Seeing Hakuho looking calm at the heya and rather than going out in
evening, staying in his heya watching the past yokozuna's bouts on video)
"Comparing to the last year when he just got promoted to yokozuna, I
believe he has more self awareness of being a yokozuna."

Kitanoumi oyakata, chairman of the Kyokai
(Seeing Hakuho heads and shoulders above anyone else at the moment)
"Today it was more like I felt he set aside his opponent smoothly
without any fuss rather than squashing down one tough enemy."

Record:

Ama, Kokkai - Career 300th win.

East Juryo 5 Kotokasuga(Keigo Yamada from Fukuoka), 30, of Sadogatake
Beya will re-enter the Nagoya Basho from Day 9. Kotokasuga withdrew on
Day 7 and was diagnosed with fractured bones in chest and lower back
requiring six weeks of treatment. Kotokasuga will be scheduled to face
Hoshihikari on Day 9.

"He was doing training sessions this morning. I agreed with his re-entry
as he really wants to go back again," Sadogatake oyakata said.

The Kyokai held their regular Directors meeting today and discussed
three major issues confronting them:

1. Respect to a request forwarded by Ministry of Education to include an
external director to the board after the death of Tokitsukaze Beya
rikishi, the directors decided to create a new position of "External
Auditor" to be occupied by a person without any Ozumo background. The
directors rejected a motion to have a director without any Ozumo
experience at this time. The subtle (or significant) difference is that
a director will have a voting privilege at the board meetings while the
auditor will not.

Kokonoe oyakata clearly stated that they have no intention of having a
director without any sumo experience at this point. "We have been
receiving a variety of advice from them. In the future we'd like to move
to the direction by introducing an external director. We believe it will
not be too long that will be realized," Kitanoumi oyakata, the chairman,
stated. "We are currently in assessing the right individual for the
position(to be selected at the directors meeting after the Aki Basho)."

2. Regarding Mongolina Jungyo to be held in August. The Kyokai has
decided to proceed with the schedule for now and in early August they
will be dispatching a team to assess the situation and will make the
final decision based on their findings. According to Oshima oyakata,
Director of Jungyo Group, depending on the circumstance it could still
easily be postponed to a later date. "We really considered this matter
seriously and the decision has not been taken lightly. Should something
untoward happen from now to the event dates, we are still prepared to
postpone it any time," Oshima oyakata stated.

3. The Kyokai was advised by the Ministry of Education to open up
biddings for the Kokugikan's renovation projects to make the process
more transparent. The Kyokai was discovered to be privately soliciting
from a few construction firms for the Kokugikan renovation projects.
"We'd like to follow what other corporations are doing in this case so
we will be conducting open bids in due course," Kokonoe oyakata, Diretor
of Public Relations, said. "This is something we have been practicing
for so long but we intend to reform the process to be as open as
possible now."

Another agenda at the meeting was if they should initiate a doping test
during this Aki Basho in September but they decided not to follow
through with it during the basho. It appears that they will be
conducting it between basho rather than during one.

"We face all sorts of logistical problems during a basho so I suspect
the preparation will take much longer than we anticipated," Isenoumi
oyakata, the director of Kyokai's anti-doping committee said. "I also
like to point out that we are doing this for benefit of rikishi. We are
concerned about their health and that is our sole objective on this. So
for that reason we will not be publicly disclosing the results and we
are using the finding for guidance only."

The oyakata is also investigating various methods of doping test based
on the world standards. "This is a really difficult issue. We need to
re-consider further on the world standards whether we follow WADA or
not, " the oyakata added while admitting it would more likely be
initiated some time in next year, not sooner.

Isenoumi oyakata also indicated that the final report on the death of
Tokitsukaze Beya rikishi will not be submitted at the moment as they
wish to reconsider further and will be forwarded to the Ministry once it
is completed and discussed at the directors meeting.

The Kyokai announced on July 20 that Makuuchi rank gyoji Masanao Kimura,
54, of Asahiyama Beya will be promoted to Sanyaku ranke as of this Aki
Basho.