[sumo] sunakaburi

Nashinokawa nashinokawa at parbrook.free-online.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 10:54:47 EDT 2008

Further to Doreen's message, apart from inheriting them, the other way, is
through the stables/rikishi.  The stables and rikishi I believe have some
available to their "support clubs", and the members of these are well
conversant in the behaviour expected.  The one I got was through a friend
who was a member of the suport club of a rikishi called Takamisugi, who was
quite long lived in Makuuchi, and got the the rank of Komusubi -- he was
never very well known though, for example he never won a "sansho" (I think
he may hold the record for the most makuuchi appearances without ever
picking on up..)

Another thing about the tickets is that it is not normal to get hold of them
for their face value.  Normally they come with support from one of the "tea
houses" which give you some food/sumo souveneirs of your day (usually tea
cups/plates+food (bento)).  If you are in the sunakaburi you pick them up at
the end of the day. In the "boxes" of four behind you get all your food and
souveniers given to you. The tea house also escort you to your seat.
(probably to ensure that any occupant whose "borrowed" it leaves
promptly...)  This all adds about a factor of four or so the the face value
ticket price...  I have to say I was very grateful on the day I went, as my
glasses fell apart and they were very helpful in hunting down a jewellers
screwdriver to repair them!

On the TV I think I have also seen the odd former wrestler/retired oyakata
in the sunakaburi seats.

Further to Doreen's point re legs stretch out this to my mind is highly
risky in addition be being rude, as if a rikishi falls on you you are much
more likely to break a leg/shatter your knee.... If you are early at the
sumo nobody seems to mind you sitting in the sunakaburi for a short time as
long as you behave as expected and depart very promptly as things get busy.

Cheers

Nashinokawa