[sumo] (no subject)

JZ8D-SMMN at asahi-net.or.jp JZ8D-SMMN at asahi-net.or.jp
Sat Jul 19 19:24:09 EDT 2008

.>Hi, Doreen,

>Posted for all. If I'm only one, gomens around.
>
>Pls fill us in on correct sunakaburi behaviour.  Your wealth of knowledge is breath of fresh air whenever you're on.  Your ole' Wakanami fan, Yokotanoharry

Since those front six rows are really intended for the habitues/fat cats, who sometimes inherit their seat from a father and even grandfather, perfect behavior is assumed.

But since the sumo people make no fuss if less affluent custoimers use them in the earlier hours of the sumo day, the previously unwritten rules are spelled out.

The main thing is to avoid showing disrespect, to avoid injuring falling rikishi/gyoji etc., and to avoid injury to oneself.

So: no eating, drinking, carrying things with sharp edges (anyone remember the gyoji (Kimura Koichi) who fell onto a spectator's collapsible umbrella and gashed his face? blood all over him and his costume.
Small children are not normally allowed on the front two rows, even if accompanied by a parent, because of the danger to themselves. It is also disprespectful to turn one's back on the dohyo, so people getting a quick photo
of themselves with the dohyo as background have to be quick. The father I mentioned yesterday was way out of line, with the little boy (actually not all that little) sitting for some time with his back to the dohyo, on the front row, way after
the father had got his picture. That was when the judge beckoned a young yobidashi to tell them to turn around. They were lucky that a change of judges had taken place since their first warning (which was for getting on the front two rows).

In between times, both had sat back with thweir feet stretched out in front of them -- a rude attitude in general Japanese society, except for rikishi who often can't avoid it!

My time is up so goodbye for now.
Doreen Simmons
jz8d-smmn at asahi-net.or.jp