[sumo] Nobody here in Nagoya?

Nashinokawa nashinokawa at parbrook.free-online.co.uk
Sat Jul 19 17:46:18 EDT 2008

Hi (coming out of lurker mode)

Having once sat in the sunakaburi (with a ticket rather than early in the
day) the key point is that you are not allowed to eat any food  while in the
area, which stretches five or six rows back around the dohyo as far as I
remember. This means that you need to go back to the "tea house" which sold
you the ticket (usually) to pick up/eat your yakitori etc. I think the idea
is that you have nothing around you that could cause injury to a rikishi if
you were unlucky enough for him to fall on you, although you are allowed to
use a camera.  I guess if you are really in the front row or at a relevant
row end, you would also be expected to keep your legs crossed out of the way
so that you don't impede riskishi, yobidashi, gyoji, shimpan entering and
leaving the ring area.   For rows further back you need to keep your legs
crossed in anycase as your "space" is a single cushion.

Cheers

Nashinokawa